S1-2 | Ironic Fate

II. Ironic Fate

1 year later

"Aren't you glad you're alive?"

The question stung. It was a joke. I forced a laugh, but the sound came out dry and empty. Lucky for me, Liza, my best friend didn't notice. She was busy ogling a guy in our Spanish Class who coincidentally was there too. If I know better, I'd say, she dragged me here under the pretence that I should have a night life again when all along, she is stalking him.

I rolled my eyes at her obvious ploy and silently sip my margarita. Lisa turned around and looked at me. She wiggled her eyebrows.

"Well? Aren't you glad you're alive?" she repeated her remark.

Right. We have had this conversation a billion times. I'm pretty sure Lisa wouldn't like my honest answer - No - so I said what she wanted to hear.

"Yes. I'm glad I'm alive and here on a bar drinking margarita." I mock and raised my glass slightly over our heads.

Lisa grinned. "Good. You better. Let's go find you a guy tonight. Honestly Honey, you should get laid." She paused and narrowed her eyes on me. I was sure my cheeks were beet red and almost half of the bar had heard her grand announcement of my lack of sexual escapades.

"Come on, you're twenty and you need it. You badly need it." She enunciated each word, trying to persuade me. If only she knew I was a virgin, she'll probably pass out.

"Look, I don't need a man. You on the other hand do. So go get that guy from Spanish Class."

Lisa brightened and giggled softly. "Is he looking?" she asked in a whisper. I sneak a glance at the guy and caught him not so subtly checking out Lisa's derriere. I rolled my eyes. Guys!

"Yep and he's salivating so go get him and show him a good night."

Lisa giggled and bit her lip. Her green eyes sparkled with mischief. "Oh I'll show him all right, but what about you? I can't just leave you." She pointed out worriedly.

I smiled and grabbed my bag and house keys. Honestly, all I wanted was to curl up in bed in the safety of my apartment "I'll be fine. I have my car with me."

Lisa gave me a thumb's up. I watched her stalked to the guy who looked like he was instantly smitten by Lisa's charm. I quickly head out of the bar; sure she's in good hands.

It was half past nine in the evening. I have never been out this late until that night. The memory was a constant reminder of the danger that lurked in the shadows. The streets were uncharacteristically empty, papers and Styrofoam cups littered the sidewalks and occasionally, a car would pass by. I looked back at the bar.

Red Hot - the sign was in blinking neon red. The guy on the door watched me with steel gray eyes. He was a big man, the tattoos line up his arms and neck. He was making me uncomfortable. I hastily looked away and walked to my car.

As much as I hate to admit it, but a guy his size scares me. In fact, I was having a hard time even around guys my age, to which Lisa worries the most. Maybe it was the effect of the things I witnessed.

The Collins. I never thought I will survive but that thing and that man didn't kill me. The police never saw Jonah's body and just a month ago, the case was put on hold. Jonah just disappeared. I always dreamed of him. It was the guilt that was eating at me. I should have saved him.

I took a turn in a well-lit alley that would lead me to my car. I shivered at the cold nipping at my arms and cheek. I felt like I was being watched but when I turned around there was no one there, not a soul in sight. My hand involuntarily rested at the bottle of pepper spray safely tucked in my jacket. The sound of tin can dropping on the cemented floor, rolling away echoed.