S1-11 | Ella and Chris

XI. Ella and Chris

I held in my breath as Yuan opened the car door. I peered at the marbled staircase up ahead. There were too many visitors, each showcasing the finest ball gowns of sheer elegance. A few were staring curiously as I finally step out of the car while the others, merely glance at my direction.

Tasha pursed her lips and pat my hand. "Just stay close to me. Everything will be fine." She assured and started ahead. It felt like I was frozen on spot as I watch her ascend the steps with Jonah. I couldn't move my legs. I don't want to.

"Just breathe." Yuan said softly beside me. He offered his arm and it took me a full minute before accepting his help. If not for him, I could still be standing there like an idiot.

There were guards everywhere, lining up the staircase and some blending in the shadows. I couldn't have notice if not for the feel of eyes on me. I was being watched and I had a feeling it was something to do with the 'master's first'.

Whatever it is, I will have to find out tonight, which will be easy if I won't have to get the answer from Roarke himself.

My heart was pounding in my chest as we finally entered the great hall. Classic music started to fill my ears and I was momentarily awed with the number of people in attendance. They were all so lavishly dressed and despite myself, I couldn't help but feel slightly out of place. After all, these people are not of human nature at all.

The center of the hall was crowded with couples dancing around to the music. The buffet table was located on the right side and scattered around were couches and chairs to sit on. I was faintly aware that I was starting to lose Tasha and Jonah in the crowd. The music quickly changed. A lot of people started for the center. In a slip second my hand slipped from Yuan's and I was swallowed by the crowd of people trying to get back to their seats and to the center for a round of dance. I desperately tried to get back to where I was before but Yuan was no longer there. The crowd had ease and I was left alone.

I glance around, noting the cold and curious stares directed to me by a group of girls. Even the guys were eyeing me differently. I suddenly felt so suffocated. My thoughts were in chaos as I weighed my options on whether to escape or search for Tasha or Jonah or on a lesser note -Roarke.

I notice the balcony and quickly made my way to it, relieved to finally found a place for myself. Or so I thought. The minute I stepped into the dark balcony, it felt wrong. The cold night breeze nipped at my skin. A shiver run down my back as I looked around. I was alone yet I still felt watched, more so than before. Shaking the feeling away, I decided to venture to the gardens. The fresh air might help me clear my mind.

The grass was soft beneath my sandaled feet. The heels were proving to be difficult so I quickly slipped it off and decided to walk barefoot.

The night was calm, the music from the hall was distant, I was starting to relax when I heard voices. I stilled in my spot, trying to place where the voices were coming from. It looks like they were having a fight.

"Leave me alone!" a high-pitched voice said. A low growl resounded and I instantly panicked.

What the hell is going on?

Curiosity won over fear. I found myself inching closer to the direction of the voices. Up ahead was a small fountain. I crouched behind a bush and peered at the scene before me.

A girl with short blonde hair, wearing a red gown was nearer to my hiding place. Her back was turned to me and she was facing a man who looked devilishly handsome and is also undeniably livid.

His eyes narrowed, then flashed bright yellow. I gasped despite seeing it the third time. I covered my mouth and crouched lower. Of course they are werewolves!

"How long are you going to avoid me tonight Ellaine?" he hissed or more like growl the words angrily.

"Till you stop being an ass Christopher." She said the words in an equal manner but instead of a growl it came out as a mild purr.

"Come back with me now! Stop being so childish!" The guy -Christopher snarled, much like how Roarke commands me to do things and my heart instantly went out for this girl -Ellaine.

"I said no. Leave me alone. "She said, folding her arms in front of her and raising her head defiantly. The guy didn't like her defiance at all.

A loud, threatening growl resounded and my heart beat started to race.

"I.will.kill.you." he hissed the words menacingly and started forward. I bolted up in fear for the girl and almost stumbled out of the safety of the bushes.

The guy halted in his steps. His yellow eyes falling on me. I instantly regretted my action and prayed for the ground to open beneath me and swallow me whole.

"Who the hell are you?" he snarled. I flinched and took a step back.

"I-I don't want to intrude. I heard voices...and ended up here." I said, clutching my sandals close to my chest. Even in my own ears, I know I sounded dumb. I mentally slapped myself.

I was surprised when the girl started to giggle which made way to a full laugh. I watched as the guy's eyes turned back to its azure color. His posture started to relax, as if the intent to murder had just vanished, just like that. I don't think I'll ever be used to their hot-blooded nature.

"That's priceless. Thank you. I've been trying to find something lively in this dull party since I got here." The girl explained and held her hand.

"Hello, I'm Ellaine. You can call me Ella."

I hesitantly accept her hand and looked between them confusedly.

"Y-you were fighting a minute ago." I pointed out. The man merely smirk and stride languidly to the girl. He put his arm around her shoulders and pulled her close.

"We were weren't we?" he said in a light tone and smiled down at Ellaine before glancing back at me.

"I am Christopher. I am her fiance." He announced and received a jab from Ellaine who quickly slipped out of his hold and went to my side.

I was still at lost for words. I was positive, he would kill her in that moment. His eyes blazed with the same intent as with Roarke's.

"I-I don't understand." I admitted and looked at Ella for explanation. She giggled and wave her hands in the air.

"He meant no harm when he said he'd kill me. He would rather kill a thousand rogues than lay a finger at me. "She winked.

"What's your name? I haven't saw you before. Not in any royal families at least." Chris said and looked at me critically. I cowered under his scrutinizing gaze.

"I-I am Honey LeChat. I'm-"I stopped. What am I going to say? I was turned by a man named Roarke Romanov-the birthday boy. I stared blankly at the couple.

Ella's features suddenly brightened and she clasped my hand. "You're the Honey?! Oh my! It's so nice to finally meet you!" she gushed and enveloped me to a tight hug. I was slightly dumbfounded.

"So you're that bastards. I didn't think this day will come at all." Chris said with a chuckle and shake my hand.

"Welcome to the family. I am Christopher Dimitrov, Roarke's best friend."

My head started to spun. What are the odds that I will run to them at all?

"But shouldn't you be with him? I mean you have been turned for only a week right?" Chris asked, peering down at me curiously. Ella gave him another jab which he gracefully dodged.

"He's right. You shouldn't stay far away from him or else-"

Whatever she was about to say was cut off by the arrival of someone else. It was Yuan. He looked troubled as his gaze landed on me.

"Miss LeChat. The master is waiting for you." He said tartly.

Ella started to shake her head while Chris was snickering quietly.

"Oh dear, brace yourself. You should never leave the side of your maker for too long." Ella said worriedly.

I'm sure all the blood has drained from my face.