S1-49 | Greed♦

Warning: This chapter contains a few scenes depicting violence.

S49. Greed

The pain throbbed incessantly at the back of my head, making it harder to open my eyes. I could feel my hands were tied behind my back and my legs were tied together too tightly, I could feel the rope burrowed painfully against my skin.

I opened my eyes and blinked rapidly to chase away the blurriness hindering my sight. The first one I saw was Jonah, who was tied in a post opposite to me. He was awake and looking at me solemnly. I noted that the claw marks in his arms had resolutely faded to a mere gash and he looked as comfortable as one would be, tied to a post.

"Finally awake!" The clap of hands made me flinched. I glared at Sean who stepped between us with a wide smile. He had gotten rid of the bloody bandages and was now bare from waist up, his skin sporting neither bruises nor wounds.

How long was I out?

I remembered fainting after Sean gave me another blow to the head. I stiffened as I remembered what he said.

Sean Dimitrov was the traitor.

That means everything...was a lie.

"You asshole!" I screamed at him. "You killed him, didn't you?! You killed the King!"

Sean's laughed boomed around the chamber, bouncing off the bare walls. "I am proud of it."

A soft growl came from Jonah, his blue eyes burning gold like liquid fire. It glowed fiercely in contrast with his pale skin and black hair.

"Oh, I almost forgot to give you my greeting, our child king. The youngest king our history would know of and the only King that will only reign for a day." He bowed in mock salute.

I shivered at the malice in his words. I squirmed around my binds, trying to get free as Sean took a step towards Jonah.

"The only greeting that I would accept from you Sean Dimitrov is your head in a platter." Jonah spat his words in a growl. Sean stiffened, shocked at the threat, but only for a moment. Amusement danced in his eyes. He held Jonah's chin and tilted his head upwards.

"Your father was so proud of you, so young yet so remarkable, Arius."

Jonah snapped at the mention of his real name, an animalistic growl rolling off his chest.

Sean chuckled deviously. "I wonder why you hate your name so much. It is the name your mother gave you. I'd hate to end such a promising future, but you are in my way little boy and however different you are in your age, you are still a child."

I saw how those words shattered Jonah's resolve. His golden eyes dissolved back to its blue hue as Sean's words slink inauspiciously in his mind like poison. .

"Get away from him!" I screamed and in a blink, a sword was pressed against my neck. Jamie pierced me with a look that showed no reservation to kill me. It didn't escape my notice that her right cheek was red and slightly swollen. I glowered at her.

"Of course I won't forget you Honey. But there's something I need to do first. The world runs in order you know."

Soon enough, I overhead footsteps approaching, and from a passageway on the other side of the chamber, a Romanov soldier emerged. Hope flared inside of me.

"Help us! Help!" I screamed but the soldier's steps did not falter until he was standing in front of Sean. The soldier bowed his head, extinguishing my hope at the blatant show of betrayal. He was with them!

Sean disappeared from my line of vision and after a while, returned holding a glass cylinder. My breath hitched as I saw the blue violet eyes floating serenely inside the glass container.