S1-48 | Battlefield

S48. Battlefield

The dark skies loomed over the vast field, forebodingly bleak and silent. The moon was shrouded with black clouds like a veil to shield it from the ill-fate about to happen before it. The branches of the trees surrounding the area rattled with the gust of wind, and the tall, spindly grasses that covered the vast field danced inauspiciously before the men.

The black veil went by, releasing the silver light of the moon that promptly chased the gangly shadows casted by the trees. The metal armor glinted from the sliver light, revealing that both sides of the field were occupied with men in number over thousands. The red flag of the Romanov, with its' golden crest blazed with the breeze while the green flag of the Ivanov's stood high and regal, the silver crest reflecting back the light of the moon.

"How long has it been since the last one?" Chris asked conversationally, eyeing the men before them. Roarke grunted. "Don't even think of removing that helmet." He warned instead. Chris paused and guiltily let his hand fall down to his side.

"It's damn constricting. I should've brought my own." He admitted warily.

Both men stayed silent for a second. The Ivanov's had once stood beside them from the last war. Their flag blazing united with them and yet now, they stand opposite each other in the battlefield.

"If Gustav is alive, he would make a snarky comment." Chris muttered, melancholy in his voice.

Roarke nodded. If Gustav was alive, this wouldn't happen. Their families had coexisted peacefully. They had fought and won battles together, like blood brothers. The men on the other side had once fought beside his men, and now they stand ready to battle, hungry for a justice they thought they would achieve but instead was pushing farther away.

"You got to hand it to your brother Roarke, he managed to romp Gustav's men along with his plan."

Roarke grunted again. "Gustav was the head and after he was cut off, the body floundered, and grasp around for a leader. "

"I find it hard to believe that those men would easily yield to your brother, don't you?"

"Yes. Someone else is behind this. We need to find out who was foolish enough to kill a future heir."

Chris nodded. "That I agree with you. So does that mean your little brother is fair game? I believe Max, that boy is too hungry for vengeance."

Roarke stayed silent and turned to look at Chris, blue eyes hardening to cool ice. "Let me deal with him. He's my responsibility."

"I know you'd say that. And lucky for you, I was smart to give Max a position at the back."

Roarke nodded once, both men advancing to the middle of the field as they saw Tristan and one man do the same, leaving their troops behind of them.

They stopped a mere feet away from each other, coming to a complete standstill.

"This is all you've got?" Roarke asked coldly, his face a nonchalant mask.

Tristan stiffened at his words, his jaw clenching at the way Roarke said the words.

"I could say the same to you. You didn't bring half as much as I expected you would."

Roarke rolled his shoulders. "No. I decided I wouldn't need it."

Tristan nodded, a wry smile fleeted over his lips. "That's good. I hate for my men to kill your family without a fight."

If his words affected Roarke, it didn't show.

"What does that mean?" Chris was the one to ask, his thoughts fleeting over Ella who he left back in the manor with everyone else.