S1-32 | Just This Once

S32. Just this Once

Three weeks has passed since Max was out of his cell and it had been three weeks since I last saw Roarke. Not that I miss him, as a matter of fact I was relieve not to be anywhere near Roarke. I was still confused about a number of things that concerned him but for now, I pushed them all at the back of my mind.

Lessons with Tasha had filled in most of my free time; of course combat with Henry occupied most mornings.

The library had become my perfect haven and I had learnt the basic things about werewolves and 'turned weres'. The most important ones helped me give reason to my maker's behaviour. He should have let me read this book rather than letting me experience it forehand.

One. My sexual appetite might just consume me because wolves are hot blooded creatures.

Two. Don't run from your maker. Running, for wolves is a call for mating -the subtlest way.

Three. Everything I do might attract my maker, especially if the bond between the maker and his 'turned weres' is undefined, whether it's a master-slave, friendship or something far more intimate.

Four. The bond lasts for a year and after that, the connection will fade.

And Five, the one that worries me the most. The 'turned weres'needs to be around their maker for long periods of time, or else, the bond consumes their strength and makes them weak, Worst case scenario, if the maker dies within the year the bond is made, the 'turned weres' dies too. But if the 'turned weres'dies within the year the bond is made, the maker remains unaffected.

I remembered planning to kill him and shivered at the thought. I could have killed myself.

There are many more, but I find it hard to absorbed all of it. I might just go insane so Tasha told me to read the book about mating and now I got a headache.

I pursed my lips and closed the book. It was the most awkward piece of literature to read. I don't think I need to know that werewolves tend to be in heat for a month nor do I need to know that they think about doing it 24/7 until their mates carry their babies.

"Want to take a break?" Tasha asked pleasantly. I was sitting by the window while she was in the settee. I rolled my eyes. "No. I think I need a change of book."

She giggled. "Come on. That's basic knowledge for you too."

I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Only 1 percent of turned weres mate with their maker and I don't plan to mate with your nephew. Thank you very much." I stated a fact.

She waved her hands in the air as if I was gibbering nonsense.

"And there's only 1 percent chance that a werewolf will turn a human such as your former self." She pointed out dryly. I groaned in annoyance.

The door to the library creaked open. I craned my neck to see who entered. I bit my tongue when I saw Jamie walking towards us.

My annoyance flickered as the image of her smiling up to Roarke flashed in my mind.

"Hello Jamie. Do you need something?" Tasha asked lightly while I studiously ignored the child. Technically she was in her teens. Maybe sixteen or seventeen, with the glow of life restored in her, she looked a lot more pleasant to look at than before.

And a tiny voice in my head rebelled about that fact. Pathetic, I know.

"I..want to talk to Honey." She said meekly, it was annoying me too.