S1-23 | New Arrangements

S23. New Arrangements

It was obvious Henry was trying a bit overboard to suppress his smile as he check me for injuries while I was thinking of ways to get him to answer my questions.

Roarke was standing by the door, his gaze stony and made of ice. At least, he was concerned with what happened yesterday. I thought the accident meant nothing to him.

I tried not to stare at him. I really did, but his presence alone was beckoning my attention. It was hard to resist. I studied his profile as stealthily as I could. Today, he was wearing casual clothes, a black t-shirt that hugged his muscular chest and showcased his biceps and maong pants. I swallowed and averted my eyes as the room started growing hot.

Stupid hormones! My attraction to him was an abnormality I would not be able to get rid of anytime soon.

Henry snickered quietly. He looked at me knowingly and glance at Roarke. I stole a glance at him and noted the hard set of his jaw and his eyes that had turned as hard as steel.

I bit my lip, trying hard to veer my straying thoughts off of him. It was hard to do, especially as my brain started replaying the memory of when he carried me shirtless.

At last Henry finished checking on me. About time too, because one more minute and I'd be bolting out the door from the tension in the room.

"So?" Roarke asked, his deep voice warming places that should stay cold. I cleared my throat as his eyes snapped to me so knowingly.

"Everything's good. " Henry said, his stupid smile still plastered on his face. I wanted to smack it off his face,

Roarke nodded and glance at me. "Come to my office in an hour." He ordered and he was striding out of the room in a flash.

I breathed out thankfully when the room seemed to clear when he was finally gone.

"What else can I do for you?" Henry asked, the amusement clear in his voice.

"I wanted to ask you something... about Roarke." I said and his smile widened. I didn't know if I should be relieved he looked willing to entertain questions or alarmed that he seemed to be too eager.

"Go on. I was actually waiting for this. "He said and sat down on a chair opposite mine.

I smoothed my hands on my pants and cleared my head.

"Can you tell me about him? Why he turned me? Why he can't let me go? Why he chased me like I was his prey?" The last question made me shiver, remembering the crazed looked on his yellow eyes.

"Too many questions. It will be unfair if I answer them all without you giving me anything, so let's trade. I'll ask you questions in return."

I was about to approve when he held his hand up, mischief dancing in his eyes.