S1-24 | Et Vermiculum Vitae

S24. Et Vermiculum Vitae

"I own you."

His deep voice rang in my head repeatedly, with the same hard timbre of possession.

I closed my eyes tightly. I've been hiding in the library after talking with him. It was a struggle to get my mind off of him even with the pile of books I have chosen from the shelf.

I glance around at the vast space of the library. It was a waste that no one ever seems to come here as evident with the dust in the shelves. I decided it would be a safe haven for me from Roarke. Not only was the room located at the far end of the mansion but there were so many hiding places to choose from.

The creak of the door made my head snap to its direction. I distinctly remember locking the door. I waited for anyone to walk in, hoping for anyone but Roarke of course.

I frown when no one appeared. I was sure I heard the door open.

I stood up and turned to place a book back on a shelf when I caught sight of a person standing idly by the corner. The room turned cold, it felt like the light dimmed and the silence became deafening. Slowly, the person turned.

Seething scarlet eyes bore into mine. My heart beat stopped seeing the malice and rage on those orbs. Her lips pulled up in a vexing smile that showed dark teeth. It was the old hag from before.

She laughed, a loud, high-pitched sound that hurt my ears and head. I couldn't move, couldn't even tear my eyes off of her. My knees shook as a pressure started to build up at the back of my head and spread down to my arms and legs until it felt like I was no longer in control of my body.

"Give them to me. Give them." She snarled and moved forward, her hands stretched out until it touched my cheek. I gasped at the icy coldness of her palm. One of her hands grasped my neck, putting pressure until she was choking me.

Her fore finger pushed at my eyes, trying to gauge it out. I desperately tried to move my arms and managed to grasp one of her hands and stopped her.

"Stop! Get away from me!" I rasped the words but it fell on deaf ears. She dug her sharp fingernails on my cheek, grinning wickedly.

"Give them to me. Let me. Let me in." she raised her fore finger high up. My eyes widened, knowing the old hag was planning to poke one of my eyes. I screamed.

"Honey! Wake up! Wake up!"

My eyes shot open and I immediately grabbed the arms that were shaking my shoulders. I stared at the person and found Tasha peering down at me worriedly. A quick glance at the room, told me I was still in the library.

Then, was it all a dream. I brought a hand to my cheek, tracing the place where the old woman dug her fingernails and found no traces.

I let out a deep breath and closed my eyes tightly before opening them again. It was just a dream.