S1-19 | Ticking Clock

S19. Ticking Clock

Dr. Morris eyes lightened up in glee at my expression. His sadistic nature unconcealed by the malice that shone in those blue orbs. I shivered in fear. How could they be so cruel to me? How could they threaten to kill my only family?

"This is priceless." He said and snickered which soon turned to a full blown laughter that made me more uneasy.

What was so funny?

There was nothing to be amused about. The air hung thick with tension and macabre. He just threatened to kill my mother. As if it was so natural.

He slowly straightened up and smiled down at me, a Cheshire smile that stretched his face to the point I was afraid it will tear apart.

"Do you honestly have a dirty mind Miss LeChat?" he asked, his voice dripping with uncontained amusement. I opened my mouth to answer and yet he waved his hand, silencing me.

"You think I was insinuating I would kill your mother if you don't come back with me." He stated more than ask.

He shook his head and glance down at my frail mother in bed. "But she's already dead, ain't she?" he asked and I felt a sudden surge of anger.

"She's not! " I quipped hurriedly. No, she's not dead, my mind chanted. My father's face flashed in my mind with his voice saying 'Run away baby girl. Call for help...Live for me.' My heart clenched painfully at the buried memory.

No, I refuse to lose someone I love. Not again. Not because of me.

"The only thing that keeps her alive is that monitor and its beeping is terribly annoying. Would you mind if I shut it down?" He suggested sincerely, peering at the machine that was my mother's lifeline.

"Please no!" I hissed, yet the fear had rooted me on spot. Coward! Coward Honey!

Dr. Morris chuckled. "See, that dirty mind of yours never fails to amuse me."

My heart was beating rapidly. I darted a look at the slightly ajar door. Why can't someone just come in and check on me and my mom? Why won't Tristan just show up and save me?

"P-please don't-"My voice broke and Dr. Morris smirked at me.

"Honey LeChat. The girl with the dirtiest mind. "He heaved a sigh, slowly lowering his hand and turned to face me fully.

"You're very much mistaken if you thought I was going to kill your mother. In fact it's quite the opposite."

I frowned. "W-what do you mean?"

"I was asked to heal your mother in exchange for your obedience. You just need to come back with me and your mother will wake up, all nice and patched up." He explained.

My thoughts swirled in chaos. I looked deep at his eyes, searching for something that will hint that he was lying but his eyes were crystal blue, unclouded by the malice I thought was once there. Was I only imagining it before?

"W-was this Jonah's request? So I will come back?" I asked, my voice thick with emotion. But I didn't want to come back and yet if I do, mom will finally wake up. She won't die but I will suffer again.

It was then that I fully understand what the bargain was all about – my mom's life for my freedom.

Dr. Morris clicked his tongue, running one hand through his hair in frustration. "Guess again, little one."

"Then Tasha?" I hoped. Deeply hope but the downward curve of his lips tells me I was wrong again. But who will do this? Roarke?

No. he couldn't. He was a heartless monster.