2 | scorchin'

"We need to get more water." Thomas proclaimed as we attempted to devise a plan.

My friends and I had been in the treacherous scorch for about two days. Our discussion had taken place as we stood in an abandoned building that was in the middle of the sand dunes.

I let my mind wander as I looked at the shards of glass from broken windows, and stained walls. They talked about very generic concepts— definitely things we had been over a couple times, so taking my mind of the threat of death for one moment would be fine.

"We always need to stick together," Minho stated loudly, "We just need to continue doing what we've been doing. Alright shanks, let's get moving."

We filed out the door and I caught up with Newt.

"Hey." I smiled. He turned his head to look at me and smiled back.

"Hey, love." He'd always called me 'love' ever since I came out of the box in the glade. Honestly, it made my heart flutter every time.

"Newt?" I asked, suddenly serious.

"Y/n, what's wrong?" He stopped walking and Minho turned around and saw.

The leader yelled, "NEWT! Keep walking! You can flirt and talk at the same time!"

We both blushed and continued to follow the group.

"Do you think we can make it to paradise?"

"Y/n, I will do anything to get you to paradise," He reached out and intertwined my fingers with his, "you have my word."

* * *

Later that night we gathered around a fire that was haphazardly built. Despite the assumption that the scorch was hot as the depths of hell, nighttime was as cold.

Even though the small fire flickered near my feet, the chill of the air was getting to me. I shivered as Newt sat next to me.

"Are you cold?"

I nodded, trying to be nonchalant.

He silently scooted closer to me and wrapped an arm around my shoulder. I yawned and nestled into him.

"Thanks, Newt." I smiled softly.

"Anything for you, love." He kissed me on the top of my head and I drifted into a peaceful sleep.

* * *

I woke up just as the sun started rising on the horizon. My head was resting on Newt's chest and he had his arms wrapped around me. I looked at his sleeping face that was undeniably cute, and his hair that was sticking up all over the place.

"It's not very nice to stare." He mumbled.

"Oh you're awake." I yawned and sat up, slightly embarrassed.

"Hey, hey! I was kidding." He sat up too. A grin plastered across his face.

"SHANKS TIME TO GET A MOVE ON!!!"

Minho stood up abruptly and started clapping his hands and shouting at people to start getting ready for the journey.

As we walked I kept my pace aligned with one of Thomas, one of my best friends.

"You know what?" I asked.

"What?"

"I think we're getting really close to that city."

"You're right. We're making pretty good time." He paused then a smirk crossed his face and it stayed there. I suspiciously looked at him, wanting to know what he was thinking about, yet not wanting to ask at the same time.