#23

SPOILERS!!!!

I CAN SEE THE SPOILERS IN THE HORIZON!!! STAND DOWN IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ALL OF THE BOOKS!!! OH NO THEY'RE COMING!!!

I stood in a WICKED facility surrounded by people full of hope.

I suppose I was one of the hopeful people. WICKED had rescued my little sister and I from a crank attack, and we were waiting for a man named Janson to read off all of the people who were and were not immune.

They had conducted tests on us earlier to find out the truth. I could almost taste the wishful thinking in the air.

I held my sisters hand, and gave it a squeeze. "Everything'll be alright." I told her. She smiled and I smiled back.

"Alright!" Janson called out, "Settle down everyone!"

He didn't look at anyone. I soon found out why.

"I will read the list in alphabetical order!" He said once everyone grew quiet in anticipation.

There was a boy standing near me that I knew from my hometown. I glanced at him and we made eye contact. I smiled and looked back at Janson.

I think we had gone to the same elementary school, but I couldn't quite remember the boy with the blonde hair's name.

My sister soon grew antsy beside me. I understood her feeling, I wanted to know my fate as well.

Janson was starting to get close to the letter that my last name began with. Alphabetically, my name was before my sister's. I prayed and prayed for her to be immune to the treacherous flare.

Please. Please let her be okay.

She doesn't deserve to live in this world. She deserves to live in a safe, wonderful place. Not one infested with disease and debris.

"Y/N Y/L/N," Janson stated, "Not immune."

It was the moment I had been waiting for. It didn't feel real. My sister beside me started breathing deeply and crying.

"NO!!" She cried out.
"Shhh, shhh. It's okay. It's okay." I told her. Other people were having their own moments of grief, so many people didn't stare at her.

I still picked her up and held her, while she sobbed in my shoulder.

I looked up to Janson and he said my sisters name and the exact words I wanted to hear... "Immune."

She was still crying when the blonde hair boy's name got called. His name was Newt, and he wasn't immune either.

I took her back to the room we were staying in and tried to calm her down.

"It's alright. I'm going to be okay."
"You're going to die!!" She wailed.
"We all will eventually. Sweetie, you're going to be okay. You can help me. You have something special in you that will help all the people in the world get better." I started tearing up.
"But- but I just want you to get better!"
"I know. I know I might not get better, but I'm not sick yet. I'm still here and we'll spend all of our time together while I am."

I couldn't lie to her. She might be able to help me get better, but that could take years. I couldn't give her false hope. I will give her hope, but none of it will be false.

That night, I tried to get out of the bed we were sharing without waking her.

The realization that I was going to become a crank sank in. I left the room, and ran to the nearest bathroom.

I went into a stall and locked it with shaking hands. Tears rolled down my cheeks and I didn't bother wiping them away, knowing that more would just replace them.

So I stayed like that, sobbing in the bathroom for a good hour.

I took in a shaky breath, and decided one thing. I wasn't going to spend the rest of my life being sad.

When I walked out of the rest room I bumped into the blonde haired boy.

"Sorry!" I exclaimed.
"Oh it's alright, love." He replied kindly. His facial expression darkened and he said, "You're not immune."
"Neither are you." I said back. "Would you like to not be immune together?"
He slowly smiled and told me yes.

Whenever I wasn't spending time with my sister I was spending it with Newt. He truly was an amazing person.

One night we snuck out on the roof while our sisters were having a sleep over.

"I haven't seen the stars in ages!" I grinned.
"Neither have I."

We got past WICKED guards and giggled the whole way. "You'd think they would have better security."

We rolled out our sleeping bags and laid down on top of them talking for hours. We talked about almost everything.

What or lives were like before the flare. How we got our names that WICKED created for all the individuals in the building. What we thought of the trials. How we thought the Earth was created. Too many things to name.

When the sun started rising Newt said something that I'll never forget.

"Y/N. Do you remember the day they told us if we were immune or not?"
"Of course," I looked at him startled, "I remember it like it was yesterday. Why?"
"I think that was when I realized it." He looked down and I waited for him to go on. What did he realize? "You were so focused on making sure your sister was okay. Nothing in your expression changed when he told you that you weren't immune. You're so selfless. So brave. So beautiful. That was when I realized that I was in love with you."

My eyes widened and I think my jaw dropped slightly. "N-newt, I'm not-"
"Don't. You're absolutely amazing."
"I love you too." I squeaked out. He pulled me on his lap and slowly kissed me.

Fireworks exploded throughout my body and it was unexplainable. I kissed him back.

He pulled away slightly and said, "God, I've been wanting to do that for so long."
I smiled and said, "So've I."

I pressed my lips to his again and we kissed and everything felt timeless. I ran my fingers through his hair as a WICKED member appeared on the roof saying,

"KIDS!! YOU HAVE TO GET TO WORK!!"
"Okay!" I called back.

The person climbed back down the ladder and I whispered to Newt, my lips brushing against his, "They totally just walked in our make out session."
He chuckled and I got up, and laughed along with him, "We didn't sleep at all."
"It was totally worth it."
"Absolutely."
"I love you."
"I love you, too."

I like this chapter. SO MANY EMOTIONS!!

-anneequah