#25

*Sirens wailing in the distance* Spoilers!!

*Sirens getting closer*
Spoilers!!!!!

*Sirens even closer* SPOILERSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

AND FEELS!!! (Includes stuff about why Newt got his limp so if you're not comfortable about with reading about that topic don't read)

I woke up in my hammock like every other day in the glade and ran to breakfast. I was finished in the breakfast line when I spotted Newt at the end.

I placed my food down next to Minho's usual spot and ran over to Newt.

"Newt!" I exclaimed, "How are you?"

He didn't make eye contact with me as he muttered, "I'm fine."
"Newt..." I trailed off as I went through the line next to him.
"You don't have to-"
"It's alright." I cut him off.

We sat down at the table and Newt looked down at his food the entire time, barely eating. We sat quietly and attempted to make conversation, and it surprisingly lessened the awkwardness.

After breakfast I walked with Minho and Newt to the doors of the maze like I did every day. It was basically part of my morning routine.

"Run fast." I told Minho, smiling up at him. He rolled his eyes but did in fact smile in return.

I then walked to Newt, he was standing all alone. "Hey."
"Hey." He replied, actually looking at me. He scanned my face and he pulled me in for a tight hug.
"Be careful." I whispered.
"Goodbye, Y/N."
"Bye, Newt. I'll see you soon."

He absentmindedly nodded and then all of the runners started to go into the maze.
"Bye Minho!" I yelled.
"Bye Y/N!" He called back.

I jogged over to the gardens and started planting tomato seeds.

*   *   *

The day went by quickly. I ate lunch with Chuck, went back to the gardens and pulled some weeds by the carrots.

Before I knew it, some of the Runners were trickling back into the Glade.

I kept looking over to see if Newt or Minho came back. Eventually they were the only two who hadn't returned from the Maze yet.

"Hey, Alby," I said as I walked up to the leader, "shouldn't they be back by now?" He knew perfectly well who I was talking about.

He looked stiff and firmly replied, "Y/N, you're in charge while I'm away."
"Alby, where in the world could you be going?" I inquired.
"I'm gonna go in the Maze to look for them." He started to walk away from me. I ran after him, wondering why he would bend the rules now. We had barely made it ten meters when a figure emerged from the giant door.

It was Minho... Carrying something.

I sprinted towards him and tripped when I realized he was carrying Newt.

Newt.

What happened??

I sprung back on my feet and ran to my best friends, crying hysterically.
"What happened? What happened? Is he alright? What happened? Is he dead?" I kept asking questions and started to feel dizzy.
"I found him on the ground. He's alive." Minho reported, clearly in pain.

Alby and I helped Minho carry Newt to the med jack's hut. Newt was so gory, and he looked so broken as he went in and out of consciousness.

"Y-Y/N." Newt weakly mumbled.
"I'm here." I took his hand, "I'm here. You're going to be alright."
"I'm sorry." He whispered so only I could hear.

We laid him down on a table and Clint and Jeff insisted that we waited outside.
"What?" I yelled, clearly outraged, "I want to be there for him!"
"Please," Jeff said, "we need room to work."
"Fine." I hissed with a sour expression.

Tears streamed down my face as the three of us sat against the hut's wall. Newt screamed every once in a while and I flinched and cried even harder.

"He'll be alright." Minho said. I wasn't too sure if he was trying to convince Alby and me, or himself.

I wanted to believe that Newt would be alright, but the way his ankle was twisted... How his face contorted in pain... Those images would be burned into my mind for the rest of my life.

He didn't deserve this. He didn't deserve to be thrown in a maze. It wasn't fair.

About an hour later Jeff came out of the hut informing us that he was stable.
"One visitor at a time, it's cramped in there."
"Y/N, you first." Alby said blankly.
"Really?" I asked, very perplexed. Didn't he want to be first just as badly as I did?
"Yeah." He nodded.

I stepped inside, and Clint and Jeff gave us privacy.

"Newt?"
"Y/N?" He mumbled tiredly, sitting up.
"It's me." I took his hand.
"I'm sorry."
"Stop saying that."
"But I-I-" he started crying and I hugged him. He whispered so quietly I could barely hear him, "I tried to kill myself."

I felt sick.

"No- you couldn't have. Newt? Why?"
"I just-" he was crying too hard to say anything and he rested his forehead on my shoulder. "I'm sorry. When I was falling, all I could think about was you and I started to regret it. You're so beautiful, and I-I see the way you look at me. I feel the same way about you but I don't deserve that from you. You should give that to someone who-"
"Newt," I cried, "I don't feel the same way about anyone else. I could never feel that same way towards anyone other than you."

I sat next to him on the bed-table like structure and I whispered, "What you attempted to do is never the answer. Ever. We all care about you. I care about you."

He looked down to our intertwined hands and sighed.

We didn't say anything for a few minutes, and Minho walked in.
"Hey."
"Goodbye Newt." I squeezed his hand and left them alone, thinking about how Newt would have limp for the rest of his life. A constant reminder of this day that would scream at him and me for the rest of our lives.

Well darn this is sad. Sigh...

Idk what to say but I wasn't positive how to make this imagine go but here it is.

-anneequah