#68

Dedicated to -winstons  because a long time ago she inspired me to be less basic and diversify my imagines by including Winston, but I'm also sorry (lol not sorry, actually) because y/n is about to feel the pain. Whoopsies.

I'm into trying new things when it comes to writing, so I'm sorry if I screw up the present tense (I'm used to writing in past tense)

Newt and I have been friends ever since I warmed up to the Gladers. Today is the day I am going to ask him to be my boyfriend.

I think all of the boys have been waiting for me to have a boyfriend. It was obvious that Teresa was going to choose Thomas, but I'm more of a wild card.

My close friend—Winston—always tells me that I'm a social butterfly and that I'm unpredictable.

"That's why we're friends. You keep things interesting."

And as much as I'd like to prove all the boys wrong, and go through my journey solo— I can't.

I like Newt and I can't help it.

"What if he doesn't like me back?" I nervously voice my thoughts.

"Y/n, he'd be an idiot not to like you." Winston's reply soothes my nerves just a bit.

He's the only person in the entire Glade that I'd ever trust enough to confide thoughts like these.

"Thanks," I shakily say, "because I'm going to tell Newt today."

"Today's the day?" He raises his eyebrows, "I thought it was supposed to be yesterday?"

"Don't be smart with me, you shank. I'll slice your you-know-what's off."

"It's moments like these that make me wonder why Alby ever allowed you to become a slicer."

"Hey, you're the boss of me. You could give my job the chop and I could go be a Med-Jack or something."

"Wow, you made a terrible pun? You must be really nervous to express your love to Newt if you made a joke that bad."

"Shut the shuck up." I squint my eyes at him and stand up. Wiping my sweaty hands on my jeans, I force myself to decide that it's time to talk to Newt.

"Good luck, slinthead. Tell me how it goes later."

"Okay, good that."

I slowly walk across Homestead and see Newt talking to Minho and Thomas.

It's just like any other day, Y/n. You've got this in the bag so well, that the Baggers would be proud.

Okay, time to stop it with the bad jokes.

"Hey, Y/n, are you okay? You're really pale." Thomas asked. My cheeks heat up as he points that out and I feel more butterflies erupt in my stomach as I glance at the boy I came to talk to.

"I-I'm fine," Stop stuttering! "Newt, can I talk to you alone?"

"Sure."

We walk a little ways away from the boys and he asks me what's up.

My breath hitches in my throat and as soon as I get the words out I feel better.

"Newt, I really like you and I was wondering if you'd want to be my boyfriend?"

But the small feeling of relaxation is swiftly replaced with humiliation.

"I-I'm really sorry, but I think of you as a friend." His warm brown eyes look into mine with a slight humbleness, and some degree of remorse.

"Oh- that's alright. I- um, I understand. I'll, uh, see you around I guess. Bye." The words tumble out of my mouth almost as quickly as I wish to tumble away from him.

"Bye." He weakly says.

My face burns humiliation and the air I breathe exhales rejection.

I hold my tears in until I see Winston. When we make eye contact I let the dam break.

He runs away from our group of Slicer friends and leads me to a place where people can't see my puffy eyes and stained cheeks.

"What happened?" Concern floods his senses.

"Isn't it obvious? He rejected me! He put me right in the friend zone!" My face burns. I use my clammy hands to cover it.

"Was it clearly the friend zone?" He wants the specifics to see whether or not I'm overreacting. I'm not the kind of slinthead who would create boy drama for no reason.

"It was as distinct as the sound a Griever makes! I'm not a shuckface, Winston!" I try to stay calm and rational, but it's difficult.

"I'm going to castrate-"

"No!" I grab his wrist and shout, "This doesn't change the fact that I still care about him!"

Winston sits down in front of me and simply mumbles an apology for threatening Newt.

"Thanks," I murmur, "You're a great friend."

"Yeah, yeah."

He waves it off and we sit in silence. I'm not sure what he thinks about, but one thing is definitely clear in my mind.

Newt.

TBH Y/n may be getting rejected, but I really love this one.

-anneequah