#57.3

"You're not- you can't be-" I tried to find the right words.

Newt? Sick? He can't be...

"It's something they've never seen before. I can't spread it to you or anything like that. They've figured that out." It seemed like he was just trying to find words to fill the emptiness in the air. "Minho?" Newt sharply asked, "Can we be alone?"

"Yes." He left, giving me a knowing look.

My breaths became uneven and I still didn't understand one thing.

"I know what you're thinking," he started to look ashamed of himself. "I pushed you away because I didn't want you to get hurt. I really do love you, Y/n."
"Couldn't you have just broken up with me?"
"I was scared. I still am scared."

We were both crying and my question didn't seem relevant anymore as he stepped closer to me.

"I'm sorry," he murmured and kissed me with more passion than he had with that other girl.

* * *

Time passed and Newt's disease got worse. He spent more times in the hospital, and getting samples from the doctors. He was like a science project.

I basically spent the entire summer with him and his friends.

One day Newt told me that I should go visit my family. He knew they were missing me just as much as he had throughout the year.

I drove back home. We were spending the day together, and then I was planning on driving back to Newt.

It was 8:58 pm. The sun had fully set, but it wasn't quite dark yet.

It was 8:58 pm when I had gotten a call from Minho.

"Y/n," hearing his voice like that made me scared, "you have to come down here."
"What's wrong?"
"He's not doing so well. The nurses don't think he's going to make it through the night. I- I- just come back."

That was the end of the conversation.

I was shaking, saying that I needed to drive back early.

"He's not- he's not going to make it through the night."

Once the words left my mouth... I went hysterical.

My mom ended up driving me, saying I was in no condition to be driving a long distance.

At last, we got there.

We frantically signed in.

I shakily pushed the elevator buttons.

The elevator ride was so tense. I didn't even notice other people were riding with us.

We finally made it to his floor and I basically ran to his room.

Just as I came in, he saw me and a small smile fell on his lips.

Then something happened.

My breaths went ragged again and I looked at Minho. His eyes were wide as nurses shuffled us out of the room.

I was hugging him, as we stood outside the door.

Is this the end?

Time didn't seem apparent anymore, so I wasn't sure how long it took for the doctor to come out and deliver the news.

*   *   *

I checked. Every word in the English dictionary seemed to be a vast understatement of how I felt.

Newt was dead.

Minho was trying to help me. My legs didn't work. My ears didn't work. I was falling and falling and falling and falling and falling.

"Newt." I cried.

"He's gone?" Minho said in disbelief.

The doctor solemnly said, "He's brain dead."

For the longest amount of time it felt like nothing mattered. He is gone.

*   *   *

"Y/n?" The doctor knew me by name due to the fact that I had spent so much time there.

"Please come inside. I need you to understand something," he sat down and so did I, "Newt's last moment being awake was looking at you and he... left in pure happiness. You made him feel so happy. He was always happier when you were with him."

I could only look at him in response, I couldn't breathe properly and tears were pouring out of my eyes.

"This disease is springing up all over the world now, Y/n. The research conducted on him has helped so many-"

But the experience of losing someone you care so deeply about changes you. In ways... I'm now more selfish than I could ever be.

"But it didn't help him!"
"I know. His spread so much more quickly than the average person, but I called you here today to tell you something else."
"What?"
"He's alive."
"Yes, I know he's alive," I venomously hissed, "he's just brain dead and will eventually be dead."
"No Y/n, he's awake."

I tried standing, and I almost fell out of my chair.

"This is real? This is really happening?"
"Yes, I'm just as shocked as you. My entire time working here I've never seen anything like this happen."

The certainty of his death...

"He wants to see you."

The doctor lead me to another room and I was scared to enter. It was almost too good to be true.

But he was there, with tubes running in and out of his throat, and his eyes were open.

They were open.

Just to let y'all know I was going to make him die but I then decided against it.

This was an emotional roller coaster to write wow.

-anneequah