#41

Simple. Simple. Simple.

It was supposed to be a simple task.

Nothing in the Glade is simple. It appears as though the rules are easy to follow, yet it is such a dramatic place. I learned that after only a few days.

I was walking all alone in the woods to get some fertilizer. Newt had insisted on joining me on my small journey, but I told him that I could manage all by myself.

A crack of a branch sounded behind me and I instantly spun around, taking a long look at my surroundings. Was someone following me?

It didn't look like anyone was, so I uneasily kept walking.

Crack!

Someone was following me. They had to be. There were no broken twigs under my feet so I turned around again to find myself looking at a very pale boy.

He was muscular and looked very ill. He looked at me with pure hatred.

"Hello." I stated, "Is there something you need?"

He abruptly ran towards me and I dodged him, dropping the bucket and small shovel in the process. I sprinted up the small hill, but he retaliated quickly and ran after me.

I yelled as loud as I could and continued to tumble onward.

He tackled me on the ground and shouted at me for it being my fault.
"What's my fault?!" I yelled back at him.
"Greenie!" Someone shouted. Newt.

Several other boys followed him in pursuit and they shoved him off of me.

I was shaking when the boy who attacked me spat, "You're the reason why we're here! We can't trust her! We can't!"

"Greenie, come with me." Newt said, gently grabbing my arm.

He took me to a little hut and made me sit on a table.

"You're cut." He inspected my forehead.
"I didn't even realize that happened." I admitted. He nodded and told me that it would sting a bit when he cleaned it.
"Okay."

I cringed when he placed the cloth on my cut and looked at the floor.

He took my hand in his and said,
"I'm sorry."
"For what?" I met his eyes.
"This is my fault. If I hadn't-"
"Oh shut up, Newt. This isn't your fault."
"I feel responsible for it anyway." He scanned my face and lightly kissed my cheek. "I'm sorry."

I blushed and mumbled that it was alright. I wasn't terribly injured and I would be fine. The attacker's face was still fresh in my mind but I didn't say that.

"I didn't know you were part-Medjack." I joked.
He smiled, "I'm not. It's just something I remember doing before the maze."
"You remember your life before?"
"No." He sighed, "I just remember how to do ordinary tasks."
"Oh. I guess I do too."
"What're you two doing in here?" Winston asked.
"I got a cut." I blurted out. Winston raised his eyebrows at Newt and then said,
"Ben was stung."
"Stung?" Newt looked astonished, "How in bloody hell did that happen?"

I hopped off of the table and asked,
"What stung him?"
"A griever." Winston replied.
"But how did he get stung in broad daylight?"
"I don't know, but Alby and Minho are going out there tomorrow to check it out."
"Bloody hell." Newt muttered.

I didn't think that I fully understood what was happening, but I did know that nothing that happened in the Glade was as simple as it seemed.

I'm trying to do more book related imagines. I'll try to do more AUs soon too.

I feel so productive when I have plans or actually write on Wattpad. Lol.

Speaking of which! Now that it's spring break, I'm going to be updating my books much more frequently. :)

-anneequah