11 | hope

This takes place before the maze and includes some kind of sad stuff about hope.

I sat down at a table with Chuck, Aris, Thomas, Minho, and Newt.

I had been friends with these five boys since our first interactions. It has always been the six of us— unstoppable.

"Hey," Chuck, Minho, and Newt greeted me. Aris and Thomas were too wrapped up in a document they were currently viewing to look up at me.

"Do you guys have anything important to do today?" I questioned.

"Oh, but Y/n, everyday is inevitably important. We can take a step closer and closer to-" Minho started mimicking the Chancellor's voice and her well-known speech about potential and progress. She was always trying to inspire us. It always made my friends and I go into hysterical giggling fits.

We should pay attention to the speeches. I know that. I honestly think we all know that.

The thing is that—when we were each surviving on our own—having hope could build up a wall of courage. Once something seemingly irrevocable would occur—and it definitely would occur—what would happened to your wall of courage?

It would shatter, falling piece by piece. Almost all of it down to the ground until barely any of it stood.

Would you scramble around, attempting to put it back together again?

There's a kind of hope that lives within you. It gets you through life or death situations. Once that hope is bent and broken you think there's no going back.

It's hard to start all over again.

I'm immune to the flare, but before WICKED found me something happened. Well, not just something, a lot of things happened.

I was living on an island. I thought it was deserted, but one day a crank bit me in my sleep. I still have a scar on my leg from the impact.

I didn't have medicine to heal the wound, and I didn't know that I was immune.

I waited. I waited and waited to go insane. If it got to an intolerable point I would-

You know what? Never mind.

At one point I thought I was going insane, waiting to go insane... but I wasn't turning crazy.

That was how I found out I was immune.

My leg slowly healed and I regained some of my hope. Once I got bit, all my hope was lost and I didn't even have a sliver of it left.

My point to all of this?

We don't want the Chancellor to give us false hope. We can't tolerate false hope. Because sometimes, it's too hard to pick yourself up again.

"We have a meeting," Minho said, tearing me away from my thoughts, "with the Chancellor. Everyone does. At seven o'clock."

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that," I exclaimed, "Thanks for reminding me, man!"

We all established what was "important" and "not important." Sure, when we had to harvest crops in the greenhouse, that's important work, but it's an everyday task. Important means unusual, or different in our cases.

"Anyone have any tests today?" I wondered out loud, "I do." I added. Newt's facial expression changed drastically.

"Is it your first one?"

"Nah, I've done dozens of tests."

His jaw dropped. "I've only done two. They were terrible."

"I've grown used to them." I shrugged. He gently placed a hand on my knee and I instantly blushed at his strong presence of empathy.

*   *   *

"Y/N!" Newt called out for me as I exited the testing room. He engulfed me in a hug. I stiffened in shock, but then went along with it, hugging him back. It felt amazing to be hugging him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay."

"Thank god."

Update? Update.

I actually like this imagine a lot.

I always had this idea where they had to preform tests on the "subjects" before the maze, to be able to have technology like they did when they were in the maze.

Ya feel me?

-anneequah

Edited 1/10/17
As I edited this I realized that it didn't include newt that much, but I'm satisfied with how it turned out :)