4.2 | fragment of a memory

Several different bubbles of speech appeared in between the everlasting stretches of inky darkness.

"I have to go in, Y/n. I've been chosen for the first group." A voice echoed in my head. It was identical Newt's lovely British one.

"I know. Ava Paige told me," It was my voice, and I quickly realized that this wasn't the present. These voices were a fragment of a memory. "I'm going to miss you."

"Love, I won't know who you are, but deep down I'm going to miss you."

Quiet sobs were heard from me and he shushed me saying, "We'll be together soon enough."

"A year, Newt! A year!" I was hysterical.

"I know, I know."

I pictured him holding me and trying to help me calm down.

"I promise things will be the same between us."

"How could you possibly promise such a thing? Part of the trials could be me falling in love with Thomas! Or perhaps Minho! Newt, I only want you. I'm only doing this for you."

"Y/n, I promise. It will work out. I love you, you know that I love you with all my heart, right?"

"I love you even more." I whispered.

"That's not possible." A hint of a smile was in his voice.

Did this really happen to me? Did I know Newt from before? How was he suddenly in my head? How can I not remember anything else but him?

The answer floated into my brain slowly, like a feather, but it was more certain and heavy like a brick. I knew that at some point Newt and I had this conversation.

I gasped and sat up abruptly.

"Y/n! Holy shuck you're awake!"

I stumbled out of the bed I was laying on, starting to cough.

"Alby! Y/n's awake! The bloody girl's awake!" It was the same voice I had told I loved.

Thunderous footsteps bounded down a hall and the door slammed open. I had my hands on my knees in a hunched position, still coughing.

"Y/n! Are you okay?" Newt asked, immediately by my side.

"Greenie," Alby shouted. I wheezed and stopped coughing, feeling light headed. He repeated this foreign word and I could only assume he was talking to me, "Greenie?"

"Yes?" I asked, my face red from the coughing fit.

"What happened?"

"I don't know! All of the sudden it felt like someone switched something off and I fall over! Then I hear Newt's freaking voice in my head and I still don't know where I am! Or what the heck happened to me! Or-"

"Shut it Greenie! What did you say about Newt?"

"Yeah, what about me?" He crossed his arms defensively.

"I'm not answering anything until you random people tell me something." I mirrored Newt, crossing my arms over my chest.

They stared at me blankly and Alby blatantly said no.

"Yes," I replied, tapping my foot.

"Listen here, Greenie-"

"What does 'Greenie' even mean?" I interrupted him. Alby was growing angry and Newt looked slightly amused.

"Would you shut your yap and listen for once?" He paused for a slight second and then continued, "You can't act like you own this place. We work together. We're all in this together. If you think you have the right to not do what the leader asks you then you might as well jump off the cliff. Tell me what you remember and I'll tell you everything we know."

*   *   *

It turns out they didn't know much, considering the glader she had inhabited the place for a year.

"What kind of place is this?" I looked at the two boys and did as my heart desired.

I started running

"Greenie!!" Newt called after me. He blocked the front door before I could get out of it.

"Newt!" I shouted, desperate for escape from a strange leader and a boy who I was supposedly in love with.

"You don't want to do this." He wore a warning expression and in a second's notice I found out why.

Part three coming up soon! These are definitely my favorites so far! :)

-anneequah

Updated: 11/10/16