12 | greatest gift i could ever recieve

I'm feeling the Christmas Spirit. Anyway, enjoy this holiday-themed imagine!

"So what do you want for Christmas?" Newt asked, causing me to flinch.

"Geez! Don't sneak up on me like that. You nearly scared the klunk out of me!" I exclaimed, my finger nails digging into my palms. He sat down across from me and continued speaking, but now with a joyful grin on his face.

"It's almost Christmas time, here in the glade! Do you know what you want?" He questioned again.

"Christmas?" I asked, puzzlement striking me. How could we exchange gifts in the middle of a maze?

"Yeah, we started doing it awhile back. We just ask the creators for a list of things we want to give to each person and then if it's okay, they send 'em up. We have to send it a month ahead of time. And that day is tomorrow. Since the Greenie is coming up today, we'll have to figure out what to get the poor shank."

"Wait! That means I have to figure out what to get everyone in one day?" I felt my panic quickly escalating.

"I can help you," he quickly added, "if you want."

"That'd be great." I said, tucking my hair behind my ears.

"Ya know, Greenie, this is your last few moments of being called Greenie."

I softly laughed saying, "Newt, you've never even called me Greenie."

"What're you talking about, Greenie?"

"Goodness! Stop it with the all the Greenie-ing!" I was suddenly unable to contain my laughter. He sure knew how to calm me down.

"Alby mentioned something about how we all under-called you Greenie." He waved his hands around in explanation.

"Probably because I'm the only girl." I offered as an annotation.

"Gally probably called you Greenie enough times for all of us."

"Yeah, probably. I want to give him animal klunk for Christmas." I rolled my eyes in annoyance, aiming my irritation towards the tall, outspoken boy.

He laughed loudly at my comment, and I joined in, giggling.

"I'm so terrible!"

"Nah, he deserves it." He smiled. You felt a warm flutter of happiness when he looked at you and you couldn't help but smile back.

"C'mon! Let's go see what Frypan wants!" I pulled on his sleeve and we made our way to the kitchens.

"Hey Fry!" I smiled.

"Hey Y/n/n! What's up? We're kind of busy right now." He replied.

"Oh, Newt and I can help."

"Don't you have jobs to do?" He continued on working.

"Zart gave us a little break. Now, what can we do?" Newt responded with the corner of his mouth jolting upwards, the nicest half smile I had ever seen.

"Okay. Start cutting up those carrots." He pointed over my shoulder at a counter over flowingly full of vegetables. "The knives are about as klunky as Gally's personality, so sorry if they don't work well."

"No biggie." I said, making my way over to the counter.

While we were working I said to Newt in a low voice, "Cutting knives. That's what we're getting him."

*   *   *

As we ate lunch with Minho and Chuck, we figured out what to get them. Minho needs a new pair of running shoes and Chuck is artistically gifted, so I decided to get him some supplies.

Afterwards, we made our way around the glade talking to people and sharing our interests or things we needed or wanted.

It was really nice to spend my entire day with Newt.

"We should spend our days together more often." He smiled, causing me to blush.

"Yeah," I shyly agreed.

In that moment, I suddenly started to wonder what he had put on the list for me... The build up of anticipation for Christmas was going to be huge.

*   *   *

The box full of gifts was coming up.

I looked around at the excited faces of the boys waiting for their presents. The Greenie from last month, Thomas, looked skeptical. Newt stood next to me, holding my hand. We had grown more close over the past month and I couldn't have been happier about it.

When the box finally came up Alby and Minho jumped down and started handing the boxes up. We had to get a present for everyone in the glade so everyone got a lot of presents. Some people donated some of their presents to their Keeper and the Keepers put them in the storage rooms for the jobs.

Either way, all the gifts would get used up and everyone would be happy.

I started to open my boxes and got plenty of good gifts. Someone gave me a notebook, gardening supplies, a sweatshirt, cookies, and so much more. (Idk what Gladers would give other Gladers? Lol they probably would actually be terrible gift givers)

The last package I opened was small, and when I saw what was inside I let of a small gasp.

"Newt! It's beautiful!" I exclaimed, almost tackling him to the ground, hugging him.

He hugged me back and said, "A beautiful bracelet for a beautiful girl. I hope you like it, Y/n."

"I love it." I grinned. I silently added, and you.

That night we burned the wrapping paper in a bonfire—it's a Glade tradition—and someone had even found a pine tree in the forest to stand up. It made the festivities all the more merrier.

I danced around with Newt and my other friends to the Christmas tunes. It was so enjoyable. I think that day was my favorite day in the glade.

"Y/n, can I talk to you?" Newt asked, nervousness wracked his voice.

"Of course." I replied.

He walked me away from the other Gladers and we stood silently for a moment, looking at the gorgeous bonfire. I turned to face him and I realized that he had been looking at me the whole time.

I blushed and he started to speak, "Well, I figured, we've been spending a lot of time together lately and I was wondering if youdwanttobemygirlfriend?" His words ran together at the end of the sentence and I could barely comprehend them.

"Newt, are you asking me out?" I asked, my eyes wide.

"Erhmm, yes. I understand if you don't want to- I'll just be-"

"No, Newt! My answer is yes! It's always yes." He turned around and had a shocked smile on his face.

"Really?"

"Yes!" I smiled, reached out to hug him. All I could think about was him and how he was the greatest gift I could ever receive.

He kissed the top of my head and whispered, "Merry Christmas, my love."

Anyway, happy holidays to everyone!

AND A HUGE SHOUTOUT TO THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY READ THIS! YOU GUYS ROCK!!

-anneequah

Edited: 3/5/17
Note: it's weird editing a Christmas imagine in the middle of March lol