#SEPTEMBER2K16

I decided to enter a contest! I hope you like it :)

By the way, I use Glader-slang several times in this!

Word count: 765

I blame Thomas, the newbie.

It was his idea to sprint in the halls when the mass of students at Glade High were trying to get to their fourth hour classes.

I had Gym where we were running the mile, so I was particularly resentful to running beforehand. Minho and I were placed in the same gym class and he was thrilled to be running the torturous mile. Probably because he'll get the fastest time.

Newt was learning about plants in his science class and Thomas had engineering. Both of whom still wanted to waste time in between classes.

Thomas was new the school and our friend group, but he should've at least guessed that running in the halls would get us in a deep load of klunk.

Firstly, there were a lot of shanks in the north wing. Secondly, Newt fell and was currently in the nurse's office being assisted by the well known Clint and Jeff. Meanwhile Minho, Thomas, and I were sitting in the Principal's office awaiting our fate.

"Thomas," I hissed, "this was such a dumb idea."

"Yeah, I'm going to miss the mile." Minho groaned.

Thomas rolled his eyes and muttered something about how we didn't have to go with him when Principal Paige walked in.

"Running in the halls? What are you, second graders?" She sat behind her desk, her state was as icy as the temperature in the room. Of course she has air conditioning in her office, but no where else.

"I expect so much more," she clenched her jaw and said, "especially you, Thomas."

"Why me?" He seemed just as dumbfounded as Minho and I.

"I've seen your schedule. You should have bright things in your future, but not if you keep things like this up. A student got hurt."

"Is Newt okay?" I spoke up, "Ratma- I mean Mr. Jensen whisked us away before we could really talk to him."

"Newt will be fine. He just sprang his ankle, he's being taken to the hospital right now."

I gasped and felt like screaming at her.

Why did we have to be sitting here being lectured, when our friend getting hurt was punishment enough?!

"You'll all have detention for a week." Minho started to protest, but she continued, "You all broke the rules."

Minho's fists were balled up and I could only assume that my face was red from pure anger.

Sure, we made a mistake, but this was all very unnecessary. I thought one detention would suffice.

Gally was the one Newt accidentally ran into, so I'm sure he would be thrilled to have us all punished. He despised people breaking the rules, even one as small as this.

I wondered how Clint and Jeff felt about having to ship Newt off to a hospital... Most likely disheartened.

Throughout the day, I longed to be able to talk to Newt and be able to make jokes with him and try to take his mind off the pain in his ankle.

The guilt was clear on Thomas's face and I think he yearned to be able to apologize.

I guess we'll be able to see him in detention, I glumly thought.

"Guess what Ratman just told me!" Minho looked outraged, not giving us a chance to guess, "We all have separate detentions!"

"Well shuck me," I mumbled, overly frustrated.

"I'm really sorry." Thomas said, looking horrified.

I waved him off, "It was our decision to follow you."

"But I-"

"Just shut up, shank." Minho cut him off, "It won't do any good moaning about it."

"Okay." He quietly replied.

After that we began to discuss meeting up with Newt after our detentions.

"We can take my car," Minho offered.

"No point. He's already here." A pleasant, yet smug British accent announced.

"Newt!" I shouted, running over. I almost knocked his crutches down as I hugged him.

"I didn't die." He chuckled, clearly thinking that we were overreacting.

"Yeah, but we didn't even get to say goodbye! Ratman is such a slinthead!"

"I know, but it's okay," he paused then added, "We're all late for detention."

Thomas uttered a classic Glade cuss word and Minho looked at him saying, "You're finally getting the hang of our vocabulary."

"Like a Griever in a tutu." I brightened.

"That doesn't even make sense." Newt scrunched his nose, but smiled.

"Whatever." Thomas mumbled and we began to laugh.

We just laughed because what were we supposed to do? Being late to detention would only mean more detention.

It was quite the situation we got ourselves in.