Chapter 1, Scene 5

Justin turned for the fifth time. The wooden bed creaked under his weight. He lay still for a moment before sighing out loud and sitting up to fluff out his pillow. Once satisfied that he was as comfortable as he was going to get, he picked up his novel and continued from where he left off. The retired FBI agent was hot on the trail of the serial killer. The story was starting to pick up pace.

'Hi Baby,' Rebecca said from the door.

Justin sighed, dropped the bookmark between the pages and looked up. Rebecca stood in the door frame in a seductive pose, wearing silky smooth lingerie she bought specifically for the weekend. 'Come here, you,' Justin said and placed the book down on the table next to him. He opened his arms and in one graceful manoeuvre, she moved over the floor and onto the bed. She slid over to him and they embraced tightly as he planted his lips on hers. They kissed passionately, both losing themselves in the moment.

Justin tightened his embrace and then suddenly pulled her away and looked at the corner of the room.

'What's wrong?' Rebecca asked and tried to see what he was looking at. She saw nothing out of the ordinary.

'Nothing,' Justin said and kissed her again. This time, the face of the lovely receptionist flashed through his mind. Justin flinched, but continued kissing his wife. Another image flashed though his mind; this time that of the figure standing in the middle of the road. Justin pulled back and stared at the corner of the room again. He couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching them.

'Are you okay?' Rebecca asked; worried that it might be something that she was doing wrong.

'I'm...okay,' Justin said. He sighed and then turned over to his side with his back against Rebecca. 'I can't do this,' he said.

Rebecca wondered what caused her husband to lock up like that. He never turned his back on her before. 'What's wrong, Love?' she asked and gently wrapped her arm around him.

'Nothing,' Justin said. 'Just leave it, okay?'

Rebecca bit her lip. Her heart bounced around in her chest. She looked at her husband for a moment longer and then turned off the bedside lamp next to her. A few seconds later, Justin pressed the button next to him and the entire room went black.