Chapter 4, Scene 14

Justin couldn't sleep, so he decided that he would indulge in a cup of coffee while reading a novel until his eyes grew tired. Rebecca moaned softly and turned onto her side as Justin stood up and made his way to the kitchen in the dark. The only source of light guiding him was that of the full moon outside shining into the living room. He fumbled for the light switch, and closed his eyes as light flooded the kitchen.

But if you are aware of any sins that have not been forgiven, and you ask forgiveness for those sins, the Lord will remain faithful and forgive you.

Justin shook his head. This is stupid, he thought, although he felt a huge load off his shoulders since his confession to Rebecca. He felt that the abortion didn't affect Rebecca or their marriage directly, so he could tell her about it. But the incident with Megan could damage the foundations of their marriage, so about that he kept quiet.

The kettle boiled and Justin stirred the water into his one teaspoon's worth of coffee and three sugars. He finished it off with a good portion of milk, and on his way out, Justin flipped off the kitchen light. As he passed the living room, something caught his eye.

Justin froze.

In the darkness, at the back of the living room, he could clearly make out the shape of a man sitting on the couch. It was too dark to be sure, but the moon cast just enough ambient light for Justin to be certain that someone was indeed sitting there, watching his every move.

'Who's there?'

No answer.

Justin's eyes narrowed as he tried to focus on the shape, and for a brief moment he considered switching on the light. He chuckled at his own paranoia instead. Becky's got me all worked up over nothing, he thought as he walked back to the bedroom.

In the living room, a shape stood up from the couch and in the darkness took two steps forward. Its eyes glowed brightly and it growled softly before stepping back and disappearing in the shadows.