Chapter 5, Scene 10

'What's wrong, Becky?'

From across the room Simon looked up and raised an eyebrow.

'Okay, honey,' Justin said calmly. 'Just take a deep breath and tell me what's going on. Are you all right?'

He listened for a moment.

'Maggots in the food?'

He listened some more at her frantic ramblings.

'Television? Honey, I can't make out what you're trying to tell me.'

More ramblings.

'I can't come home today, baby,' Justin said with an intentional snap in his voice. 'I'll be there tomorrow.'

'I could take you back tonight if you'd like,' Simon said.

Justin held his hand over the receiver and shook his head. 'Rebecca, listen to me.'

She kept quiet. He never called her by her full name unless he really wanted her to hear what he was saying.

'Go to Tanya's place tonight. I'll come through as early as possible tomorrow, okay?'

He then finished his conversation as quickly as possible and hung up. 'Women,' he said and chuckled.

'What's wrong?' Simon asked.

Justin shrugged. 'I don't know, but she's been seeing weird things lately.' He did a little twirl with his finger next to his head. 'Frankly, I'm wondering if she's still all well "up there," you know what I mean?'

Simon ignored the comment. 'What kind of things?'

'You know,' Justin said as if Simon should indeed know what he's talking about. 'The usual. Ghosts and goblins. That kind of stuff.'

Simon didn't say anything. He merely remained in deep thought for a moment. 'When did this start happening?'

'I don't know,' Justin said, irritated that they were still on the topic. 'About a month or so ago. Maybe longer.'

'Before or after you got the job at Cybernetics?'

'I can't remember,' Justin said. 'Do you think that she's doing this to get attention?'

'I'm not implying anything,' Simon said. 'I'm merely trying to open your mind to all possibilities.'

'Maybe she is looking for attention,' Justin admitted. 'But it could be the whole miscarriage thing as well. She hasn't been the same since the operation.'

'Or maybe...'

'Yes...?'

'Maybe she really is seeing things. Maybe the ghouls are real.'

'Are you serious?' Justin asked and almost laughed. 'You're joking, right?'

Simon leaned forward. 'It could be a spiritual attack, you know.'

This time Justin did laugh. 'Are you listening to yourself?'

'Like I said,' Simon said and shrugged. 'I'm just giving you all your options. The possibility you choose to believe at the end of the day remains entirely up to you. Should I take you home tonight?'

'No,' Justin said. 'Thanks, but I'm sure that she'll be fine. Here's what I believe though,' Justin leaned forward as if to emphasize what he was about to say. 'I believe that Rebecca is making all this up. I believe that she is desperate for attention after the loss of our baby, and until I see books floating around in my house, I will refuse to believe anything else.'