Chapter 4, Scene 11

'So,' Rebecca said after they were seated at their table. 'To what do I owe the pleasure of this surprise?'

'I felt like taking you out,' Justin said. 'It's been a while since we've had a decent night out for ourselves, don't you think? Oh, and the fact that I'm getting a salary now also helps.'

Rebecca giggled. She liked it when Justin was spontaneous. The gesture with the bird warmed her heart and eased painful memories. He did care after all. Was there a certain sense of nervousness from his part? She couldn't tell. 'Yes,' she agreed. 'It's about time.'

'How's work?' Justin asked, trying to make small talk while they waited for their food to arrive. He wanted a Texan steak with fries, and she ordered the Chicken Schnitzel.

'Work is all right,' she said. 'I made double quota again today.'

'That's great, baby,' Justin said. 'When was the last time you reached double quota?'

'Oh, about two or so months ago.'

'Well, I'm real proud of you, Becky.' He said. It had been two months since the miscarriage and Rebecca was still not completely over it. His mind raced with potential subject changers. 'How's Tanya nowadays?'

'Oh, you know her. She's her ever cheerful self.'

The laughter was followed by a moment of comfortable silence. Rebecca finally spoke first. 'So how are things at your work?'

Justin's face lit up. 'It's great,' he said. 'I'm really making a name for myself. I don't think that they expected me to be that good when I applied.'

'That's good to know,' Rebecca humoured him. 'So you're still in the...'

'Workshop,' Justin finished for her. 'But I heard a bird sing about them moving me over to other projects.'

'Other projects?'

'Like onsite technician,' Justin elaborated. 'They'll send me to their really important clients to help out with workload when necessary.'

'I'm impressed,' she said. She knew that Justin fixed computers, but never saw him in action. She had no idea how good he really was. 'And you've managed to achieve this in the little time that you've been there.'

'It's not a big deal,' Justin said as modestly as he could manage. 'All the guys at Cybernetics Computers are very good at what they do.'

'Still,' Rebecca said and took his hands in hers. 'I'm very proud of you.'

You won't be if you know the truth about my past, he thought, but discarded the thought and forced a smile. 'And I'm proud of my little double quota girl.'

Rebecca giggled and just then their food arrived. Both enjoyed their meals. They kept talking to a minimum during dinner and Justin skilfully avoided the topic of her miscarriage. Justin just wanted her to relax; to take her mind off everything that's happened to them over the past few months. He hoped that this dinner would be a fresh start to a new season in their marriage.