Chapter 12, Scene 4

Rebecca opened the door. 'Dominic,' she said. 'What a pleasant surprise.'

'I thought you'd be in a desperate need of a coffee break.'

'I don't drink coffee,' Rebecca said. 'But I do have a craving for some tea. Please, come in.'

Dominic entered the apartment and joined her in the kitchen as she boiled the water.

'Your husband still at work?'

'I'm afraid so,' she said. 'Traffic usually keeps him on the road until about seven.'

'That's just terrible,' Dominic said. 'I'll simply have to keep you company until then.' He said, but hesitated. 'That is, if you don't mind.'

'Not at all,' she said. She felt doubly blessed. Not only did she not have to be alone in the apartment, but she had the companionship of one of the most attractive men she had ever seen in her life.

'Does he work late often?' Dominic asked as they sat down in the living room.

'It's not really working late,' she reminded him. 'It's the traffic.'

'Oh yes,' Dominic said as if he had forgotten already. 'You must trust him an awful lot then.'

Rebecca frowned. 'What do you mean?'

'The traffic thing,' Dominic said. 'You must trust him a lot to think that he actually sits in traffic.' He shrugged. 'I don't know about him, but if I had to sit in traffic, I'd rather find something to do or someone to visit until most of the traffic's died down. Why sit in rush hour madness and frustrate yourself if you could just wait it out?'

'Someone to visit?'

'Oh, you know. People around the office, perhaps. Maybe a friend?'

'Like a lady friend?'

'Perhaps,' Dominic said and nodded.

'He doesn't have any female friends...'

'None that you know of,' Dominic said. 'Do you really think that you're the only female companionship he has?'

'Well...he knows Tanya...'

'True,' Dominic said and rubbed his chin. 'Well, it was just a thought. I could be wrong, of course.'

Rebecca thought about the past few weeks; Justin's constant late working, him losing his ring, going to sites, and his mood swings. She also remembered her discussions with Tanya, and slowly, a fear started becoming a reality. 'Are you implying that Justin is having an affair?'

'Not at all,' Dominic said and laughed heartedly. 'I'm merely saying that there is a gap for opportunity, wouldn't you think?'

I think he's having an affair, Tanya's voice echoed in her head. The evidence is there, and it's all pointing to one thing.

'I...I don't know what to believe anymore...'

Denial is a terrible thing.

'Again, I might be wrong,' Dominic said. 'But I'm just giving you a man's perspective on the situation.'

For the first time since she suspected Justin having an affair did Rebecca actually feel angry. She felt like a blind fool, being mocked and duped in front of the world while blindly following the man claiming to love her. She was angry and for the first time she actually considered divorcing Justin Greene.

Dominic placed his hands over hers. 'I didn't want to mention this,' he said and hesitated. 'But I can't hide this from you anymore.'

Rebecca didn't say anything. She merely waited for Dominic to continue.

'I've been having these...strange dreams about you.'

'Dreams...?'

He nodded. 'Well, they were dreams at first. After I've gotten to know you better I realized that these dreams were mental representations of my actual feelings for you.'

Rebecca just sat there, dumbstruck. She felt faint, unable to process the information. Finally she conjured the strength to speak again. 'Feelings...?'

'I like you, Rebecca, I really do,' Dominic said and—holding her hands in his—shifted a little closer to her. 'I've never felt like this about anyone else before.'

Her mind reeled; her heart beat faster than ever before; her breathing was short, and her stomach tightened. 'I...I'm married...'

'To what?' Dominic asked. 'A good for nothing, cheating husband that doesn't care about you or your baby?' He established eye contact with her to make sure she soaked in what he said. 'I, on the other hand, care greatly for you and your baby. I will always be with you and will never leave or forsake you.'

Rebecca wanted him to embrace her. She yearned physical contact. 'You...you have to leave,' she said.

Dominic gave her hand a slight squeeze before he got up. 'Think about what I've said.' He headed for the door and gave her one last look before leaving through it.

Denial is a terrible thing.

To Rebecca, everything between her and Justin was spinning out of control: their love life, their communication, and their marriage. 'Oh, come home, Justin,' she whispered, and then she cried.