Chapter 5, Scene 9

Rebecca opened the door to the cold apartment. She still couldn't get used to the idea of coming home to no one, and figured that she probably never would. She entered the kitchen and flipped the kettle's switch to kick start the afternoon-at-home-alone ritual she always performed. While the water to boiled, she entered the living room and turned on the television.

Nothing worthwhile showing.

She flipped through a few channels and then switched it off and made her way back to the kitchen. Halfway there the television switched on by itself; the volume turned up all the way.

Rebecca spun around. 'What?' she asked, but her voice was drowned out by the loud noise of the television.

The Lovebird jumped around in its cage, unsure of what was happening. Rebecca grabbed the remote and switched off the T.V. Her heart pounded in her chest and her hands shook as she placed the remote control down on the coffee table. After a few more deep breaths, Rebecca managed to calm herself enough to try and subdue the panic-stricken bird.

'It's okay, Lotus,' she said with a slight quiver in her voice. 'I'm sorry, but it was an accident.'

The bird just flapped its wings furiously and rammed itself into the sides of the cage.

'It won't happen again. I promise.'

The kettle switch flipped off. Tea would certainly calm her nerves. Rebecca walked back to the kitchen, still aware of the numbness in her arms and legs. The television sprang back to life, again at full volume. Lotus flapped around and almost killed itself against the side of the cage. Rebecca ran back and switched it off again.

What's going on? She wondered.

The television answered by switching itself back on. Rebecca jerked, and pulled out the plug at the wall. The sudden silence was almost just as unbearable as the extremely loud noise. The bird still slammed itself furiously against the side of the cage.

'It's okay, Lotus,' she said, trying her best to hide the fear in her voice. 'I unplugged it. It won't happen again.'

The television stayed off.

Rebecca chuckled nervously to herself. She shuddered and decided that her tea would need a substantial amount of sugar. Her nerves were shot and she couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her as she made her way back to the kitchen.

A scream escaped Rebecca's lips when loud music suddenly blasted from the living room. She ran back to the living room and had to cover her ears with her hands. She stood in front of the television, confused for a moment as it was still switched off. Rebecca noticed that this time it was the radio, playing music at top volume. She promptly unplugged it too and fell back against the couch. Something was wrong. Something was very wrong. She didn't want to be alone. She wanted Justin to be there with her, to comfort and protect her. She jumped again at the sudden shrill ring of the telephone next to her.