Chapter 11, Scene 1

'I think it's Simon,' Justin said as someone knocked on the front door. 'He's usually early.' Justin opened the door to a smiling Tanya. 'Oh,' he said and his face dropped. 'It's you.' He opened the gate and half-heartedly hugged her as she entered the apartment.

'Disappointed?' She asked, but did not wait for an answer. She immediately made her way to the kitchen.

'Oh, no,' he said as he closed the door and followed her. 'I thought it was Simon.' He quickly tried to change the topic. 'Long time, no see, eh?'

'Indeed,' she said and then dispersed of the small talk. 'Becky!'

The two women greeted one another as if they hadn't seen each other in years.

Justin rolled his eyes and retreated to the living room. He was halfway there when someone else knocked on the door. He sighed and made his way back. 'Hey bud,' he greeted Simon as he let his colleague in. 'Glad you could make it.'

'Thanks,' Simon said.

'Make yourself at home. Rebecca and I will make us something to drink. Would you like some coffee?'

'In the middle of a heat wave?' Simon asked. 'No thanks. Although a glass of water would be great.'

'Done,' Justin said and joined Rebecca in the kitchen. 'Go meet my friend,' Justin said and nudged Tanya from the kitchen.

'We are discussing something important,' Tanya said.

Justin ignored her. 'That's nice,' he said and gently shoved her towards the hallway. 'I just need to speak to my wife quickly. You two can go on yakking in a moment.'

Tanya pulled a face and then headed for the living room where she reluctantly introduced herself to Simon.

'What is it that you want to talk to me about?' Rebecca asked once she was sure that Tanya was out of earshot.'

'Nothing,' Justin said with a sly grin. He took a glass from the shelf and asked Rebecca to hand him some of the water in the fridge.

'So why did you chase her away?'

'Because,' Justin said and his grin grew, 'I wanted your single friend to meet my single friend.'

'Oh,' Rebecca said and giggled. She flipped the switch to the kettle and took a few cups from the cupboard. 'That's thoughtful of you.'

'I have my moments,' Justin said proudly and both chuckled.

'Would you mind if I made myself some tea?' Rebecca asked.

'Sure,' Justin said. 'Would you mind making me some coffee while you're at it?'

'Ahead of you,' she sang and waved his mug around. She missed this type of interaction with him. This was the Justin she knew and loved. This was the Justin she married and missed. 'Are we going to show them the sonar pictures?' she asked.

'Of course, Justin said. 'I'm just relieved that everything's still okay in there. Must admit that I was worried when the doctor did the scan.'

'Me too,' she said and allowed him to rub her stomach.

'To think that soon there will be a huge bump there,' he said as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders. 'We're having a baby and so far everything is growing fine and looking strong and healthy.'

Rebecca smiled. She didn't want this moment to end. 'I love you,' she whispered.

'I love you too.'

A knock on the door interrupted their perfect moment.

Justin sighed. 'I'll get it,' he said and went to open the door.

'Sorry I'm late,' Dominic said as Justin let him in. 'I was making the pudding and got a little carried away. My sincerest apologies.'

'Not at all,' Justin said. 'Come in and meet the others.' He introduced Dominic to the two making small talk in the living room. 'I'm going to help Becky with the coffee.'

'Oh no you don't,' Tanya said. 'I'll help Becks with the coffee. You men sit here and entertain one another. We'll be right back.'

Before anyone could object she was up and out, leaving the three men standing there alone, each one wondering what on earth they could talk about.