Chapter 5, Scene 7

Simon's dream was disturbing; more so than any of the other nightmares he recently started having. The overall nature of the dream was always the same: angels doing battle with hideous creatures; demons from the depths of the abyss. It was the intensity of the dream that was different from the previous ones.

This time, Simon was one of the angels, fully equipped with armour. He brandished a flaming sword and next to him stood the angel he saw in the parking lot a few months ago. Together, they slashed their swords through the onslaught of attackers, slaying one demon after the other. Despite their aggressive defence, the monsters continued their attack. They were relentless, using human beings as shields while slashing at Simon and his companion with long, filthy steel-like claws. Simon and the angel kept slashing their swords. The demons kept growing in numbers; they kept spreading out.

Simon looked around him. They were outnumbered almost a thousand to one. From all sides the demons came, swinging their claws through the air as they advanced at lightning speed. Four came for Simon at once, and when he tried to back away, three more were standing behind him.

'Elrisk!' he shouted, but couldn't see his friend anywhere. 'Elrisk, where are you?'

The demon facing Simon raised its huge claw in the air and with one powerful motion slashed it down upon him.

'No!' Simon yelled as he sat upright in bed. His breathing was deep and uncontrolled. He placed his hand on his chest and was relieved to find it intact.

He forced his numb legs to move and slid out of bed. Kneeling down beside it, he prayed softly as not to awaken Justin who was sleeping at the other end of the room. 'Please Lord, help whomever You want helped. Please protect the person that requires your protection. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.'

'Simon?' Justin's voice cut through the darkness. 'Are you all right, bud?'

'I...I'm fine,' Simon said as he got back into bed. 'Bad dream, that's all.'

Justin mumbled something and turned onto his side. Moments later he was asleep again. Simon stared at the ceiling, replaying the disturbing dream over and over in his mind before; finally, he too succumbed to the clutches of sleep.