Chapter 5, Scene 6

Rebecca was fine for most of the evening. She watched some television while eating a bowl of macaroni and cheese. It was when she got into bed that the loneliness suddenly overwhelmed her. She placed her hand on the empty spot where Justin always slept and fought back the tears.

I'll just lie down for a moment, she thought. Then I'll make myself a quick cup of tea and read a bit before turning in for the evening.

It wasn't long before she slumbered off into a deep sleep. In her dream she saw Justin. They were together, having a picnic next to a lake.

'I love you, you know?' he said while playing with a lock of her hair.

'I love you more,' she said and smiled.

They both leaned forward and kissed each other. The kiss was soft and gentle. She loved it when he kissed her tenderly. Since the wedding he didn't do it too often anymore. She missed the Justin from before the wedding; the Justin that could just sweep her off her feet and make her feel loved in a way that no one else could. Justin placed his hand behind Rebecca's head and applied more pressure to the kiss. It wasn't at all uncomfortable; just unexpected. More pressure still and Rebecca tried to pull herself away. Justin held her head firmly and she had to shove him hard on his shoulder to break his hold.

'What's the matter with you?' Justin asked. 'Isn't this what you wanted?'

'No, I...'

He grabbed her by the shoulders and flung her down to the ground. Rebecca tried to scream, but no sound escaped her dry throat. In an instant he was on top of her, forcing his lips onto hers while he pinned her arms to the ground.

'Stop,' Rebecca pleaded, but Justin ignored her. 'Please.' Justin still didn't listen. 'Justin, stop...'

Her request fell on deaf ears. Justin intensified his grip on her wrists.

'Stop it, Justin!' Rebecca screamed.

She woke with a start and gasped for breath. It took a few seconds to realize where she was. She tried to move, but couldn't. A heavy pressure on her chest forced her to breathe deeply. Slowly she became aware of her surroundings, including her aching wrists. It took her five minutes of active effort before she could sit up straight. She switched on the bed lamp and as light washed out the darkness, Rebecca's breathing slowly returned to normal. She glanced at the digital alarm clock. It was three in the morning.

A chill ran down her spine. She shot her eyes to the corner of the room and although there was no one there, Rebecca couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching her. She tried to shrug off the feeling, but it only intensified. She hated being alone and afraid and felt even more so as she stared at the place where Justin slept every night.

'Oh, Justin,' she said as she rubbed her stomach. Thoughts of the baby entered her mind and that was all she needed to release the built up tears. Rebecca got up from the bed, took her blanket and pillow, and made her way to the living room where she lay down on the couch. She was still crying by the time she fell asleep again.