Chapter 6, Scene 3

Rebecca opened the shower taps and closed the door to allow some heat to build up first. Although Justin hadn't been very supportive of her situation regarding the strange happenings, his presence in the apartment made her feel more secure. She knew that when he was home, the strange things didn't happen as blatantly as when she was alone. Rebecca realized that she would have to speak to someone other than Justin about her experiences.

A Pastor? Rebecca wondered but shook her head. She figured that the only person she could trust enough to get an honest and unbiased opinion from was Tanya. Knowing her best friend, Rebecca knew that Tanya never had a qualm to speak her mind when it came to Justin. She didn't like him at all and would not choose his side by saying that it was all in her head.

It's that good-for-nothing husband of yours, she pictured Tanya saying. He's secretly making you crazy so that he can feel better about leaving you for someone younger. She smiled. Tanya never was one for tact. She always spoke her mind before her brain could process any damage her words could cause. A slam on the door made Rebecca jump.

'How long are you going to be?' Justin's muffled voice came from the other side of the door.

'I'm just about to get in the shower,' Rebecca said loud enough for him to hear her over the spray of water. She hated conversations from the bathroom. Too much echo.

'Are you trying to make me angry?' Justin shouted and slammed his fist against the door again. 'What are you doing in there?'

'I'm about to take a shower,' she said, trying to hide the quiver in her voice, but failing miserably. What's gotten into you?

'You're crazy!' Justin shouted. Rebecca could hear tension building in his voice. 'You're crazy, and I hate you! I hate you!'

'What are you talking about?' Rebecca asked and chuckled to show that she took his "joke" in good spirit. She didn't know what Justin was ranting about, but she felt a sudden relief that she had locked the door.

Justin now pounded the door with his fists. 'Come out here so I can teach you a lesson!'

'Stop it!' Rebecca shouted, her voice bordering on a scream. 'You're scaring me, Justin.'

The banging intensified. 'Come out!' Justin shouted. 'Come out and let me show you what I do to crazy people!'

'Justin,' Rebecca pleaded. A sob escaped her lips. 'Stop it! You're...'

The banging stopped.

'...scaring me...'

Rebecca moved closer to the door. 'Justin?'

No one answered.

Rebecca closed the taps. She pressed her ear against the door. 'Justin...?'

Still no answer.

Reluctantly she unlocked the door and opened it a crack. She peered out, but no one was there. 'Justin?' she asked, but yet again there was no reply. She opened the door completely and stepped out into the hallway. The apartment was empty and quiet. She moved to the bedroom where she found Justin on the bed, pretending to be asleep with a novel on his chest.

'That wasn't funny,' she scolded. Tears welled in her eyes and she had to fight them back. 'You really scared me!'

Justin slowly opened his eyes and rubbed his face with the palm of his hand. He used his elbows to push himself into an upright position. 'Huh?' he asked as he tried to focus his eyes. 'You finished your shower already?'

Rebecca clenched down on her teeth and balled her fists. 'Why did you do that?' she shrieked.

Justin sat up all the way. He looked around the room. 'What are you talking about, Becky?'

'Don't pretend that you don't know what I'm talking about, Justin Greene! Just tell me why you did it!'

'Becky,' Justin said and rubbed his face again. 'What the hell is going on?'

Rebecca stared at Justin for what felt like an eternity. She finally couldn't keep it in anymore and broke down and cried.

'What's going on?' Justin asked and moved toward her. 'What happened?'

'Nothing!' Rebecca snapped. 'Just leave me alone, okay?' With that she got up and ran back to the bathroom where she slammed the door closed and locked it again, leaving a dumb-struck Justin standing in the room, wondering what on earth he had done wrong.