Chapter 10, Scene 6

Nothing is impossible for God to forgive, Simon's words replayed in Justin's mind. Not even an abortion. Justin flinched. How did Simon know all these things?

All you need to do is ask.

Justin shook his head. It wasn't as simple as asking forgiveness as Simon suggested. Justin realized that you simply can't ask forgiveness if you didn't believe that there actually was someone able to forgive. He would thus first have to acknowledge the existence of God before he could ask. So instead of trying to prove God's existence to Justin, Simon merely pointed out man's inability to be complete without God.

All you need to do is ask.

Justin turned up the volume of the radio. Simon's voice flushed out of his mind. When the song became repetitious, Justin turned the volume back down and forced himself to think about Rebecca and what her reaction would be when she hears that he's going to yet another site.

You promised! She would say.

But it's only for a week. And when it's done, they won't send me again for at least five months.

You have no backbone, Justin Greene.

Becky, they specifically requested me. Do you know what an honour this is for me?

It's always about you, Justin. Isn't it?

Up went the volume of the radio. Sometimes—when he had bad news to break—Justin fought with Rebecca in his mind. It softened the blow when the real discussion came up and she didn't react nearly as hysterical as the Rebecca in his mind. Rebecca once admitted to doing the same thing.

Justin pulled into the drive-way and killed the engine. For a minute he just sat there. After he played out a few more scenarios, he got out the car and headed for the front door. The sound of Rebecca's laughter came from the living room as he opened the door and for some reason it immediately irritated him. Did they have guests that she neglected to tell him about?

'Hi baby,' Rebecca said when he entered the living room.

Justin scanned the room. The black-haired next door neighbour kid was sitting in his couch. The young man stood up and extended his hand toward Justin. What was the guy's name again? Roberta? Sonja? He could recall it being a woman's name. He took the hand and shook it.

'Dominic was just telling me about his antics as a teenager in boarding school.'

Dominic! That's it!

'Actually,' Dominic said. He smiled a perfect smile and even Justin wanted to like him. 'I was just leaving.'

'You don't have to leave,' Rebecca said and jumped up from the couch.

Yes you do, Justin thought. He made a mental note to kick himself later for not actually saying it.

'As much as I would love to continue our confabulation, I do have a few errands to run,' Dominic said. 'But I'll be sure to be here on the twenty seventh.'

'The twenty seventh?' Justin asked. 'What's happening that day?'

'Remember that dinner you and I invited Dominic to?'

You did! Not me! 'Yes...?'

'Well, we're having it then. Tanya is also coming.'

'Just swell,' Justin said, purposefully trying to sound sarcastic. 'I can't wait.' He started walking Dominic to the door. 'I guess we'll see you then.'

'Splendid,' Dominic said. He stuck out his hand at Justin. They shook once. 'Thank you for the delightful conversation,' Dominic said and winked at Rebecca. He then turned and walked down the hallway to Robert Richardson's apartment.

Justin closed the door. He was relieved to find her in a good mood for a change, and decided to wait until they went to bed before hitting her with the news.