Chapter 3, Scene 9

Rebecca dipped her hand in the lukewarm bath water and moved it around to mix the hot and cold water properly. As she did so, she stared at her own reflection in the mirror. Was she gaining weight? Was she losing colour? The reflection that stared back at her was someone else. The hair was unkempt, and the cheerful glow in the cheeks, gone. She worried about the pregnancy; about the creatures she saw in the corner of her eyes, the nightmares, but most of all, Justin's strange—almost aggressive—behaviour since they heard that she was pregnant only two short weeks ago.

'Are you losing it?' Rebecca asked the reflection in the mirror. 'Are you going out of your mind?'

The reflection in the mirror didn't answer.

Once the bath was relatively filled up, she closed the taps and took off her gown. Slowly, one foot at a time, she got into the warm water and melted away into the thick, foamy bubble bath. She wet a face cloth and twisted it to drain the excess water. Rebecca then laid her head back on the rim of the bath and placed the damp cloth on her face. The warm water against her neck aided in relaxing her otherwise very tense muscles.

The analysis of your blood indicated the presence of the human chorionic gonadotrophin hormone, the doctor's words echoed in her mind as she thought about tomorrow's appointment. In other words, you're pregnant.

Rebecca let out a little chuckle. She was pregnant. Going to be a mother. The reality hadn't set in properly yet. Sometimes she didn't feel pregnant, but Rebecca knew that it would only be a matter of time before she would. She wondered if Justin felt like a father yet. If he did, he hid it very well. He didn't read the strategically placed magazines and parenting books she left lying around the apartment. He also didn't talk much—if at all—about the baby and their future as a family. Tiny bubbles popped softly in her ears and she sighed. Nothing relaxed her as much as a long, warm, bubble bath. Eventually the water cooled down and Rebecca used her foot to pour some more hot water. She re-dipped the cloth and twisted it again, placing it back onto her face. After she had repeated the process twice more, she decided that it would be best to get out and prepare dinner. Justin would be home soon. She drained the tub of its water and rubbed her hair with a towel. Rebecca wiped her hand over the fogged up mirror and eyed her fresh, rejuvenated reflection.

Definite improvement, she thought approvingly. She didn't notice the light fixture slowly turning above her head. She brushed her hair as she hummed softly to herself. The colour had returned to her cheeks, and she hoped that it wouldn't only be temporary.

The fixture above her head turned faster.

As she stepped into the cool hallway, a loud crash sound behind her made her shriek and jump. She turned around and stared at the shattered glass on the floor where she had been standing only seconds ago. She looked up at the glowing, naked bulb and shuddered at the thought of the fixture smashing on her head. She tried to fight the shock as mixed feelings of anger, fear, and sadness all overwhelmed her at once. She lost the battle and buried her tear-stained face in her hands as she slowly slid down the wall.