Chapter 1, Scene 12

'The reason I wanted you both to come in,' Doctor Jacobs said once they were seated at his desk, 'is because I have some rather interesting news regarding Rebecca's blood test results.'

Both of them leaned a bit forward without realizing it.

'Rebecca, the analysis of your blood indicated the presence of the human chorionic gonadotropin hormone.'

'The human chronic gelatine what?' Rebecca asked.

'In other words,' the doctor said, 'you're pregnant.'

Both Rebecca and Justin were caught off guard at the news. 'We're...Wait! What?' Justin asked. 'Pregnant? Are you sure?'

'Positive.'

'I...wow...' was all that Justin could manage.

Rebecca was speechless.

'I'll have my secretary schedule an appointment with Doctor Taylor. She's a gynaecologist at the hospital next door and should be able to see you two right away. She will assist you during the pregnancy and perform all the necessary scans and tests to see that everything develops as it should.'

Justin's head was reeling. He hoped that Rebecca was taking all this in.

'I will also suggest that you contact your medical aid, if you have one, and make the necessary arrangements.'

After the doctor discussed a few other essentials with the couple, they stood up, thanked him and turned to leave.

'Oh, and one more thing,' the doctor said. They turned to face him. His mouth curled into a large smile. 'Congratulations, to both of you.'