Chapter 7, Scene 4

'Did Rebecca talk to you about the abortion?'

Simon looked up at Justin but didn't answer.

'Did my wife tell you about the abortion or not?' Justin insisted.

Simon shook his head. 'No,' he said. 'She didn't.'

Justin raked his hands through his hair and sat down on a seat across Simon. He leaned forward and with a lowered voice asked, 'Then how on earth did you know about it?'

For a long moment Simon only stared at Justin. He slowly raised a cup and filled his mouth with bittersweet coffee. Too much sugar; not enough milk. After swallowing the coffee, Simon lowered his cup and locked eyes with Justin.

'I don't know how I know these things,' he finally said and shrugged. 'I just do.'

Justin searched Simon's eyes for an alternative answer, but found none. 'Then what's the use?' he finally asked.

'I'm not sure I understand what you mean,' Simon said.

'What's the use of having this...gift or whatever, if you don't know how to control it?'

'It comes when it needs to,' Simon said. 'If I could control it, nothing would stop me from abusing it for my own personal gain.'

'Moral ethics would.'

'And if I were raised by immoral parents? Or if I had immoral friends?' Simon shook his head. 'Do not be deceived, for bad company corrupts good character.'

'Whatever,' Justin huffed and stood up. He turned to leave and then paused. 'I want you to switch it off when it comes to my private life,' he said over his shoulder and walked off.