Chapter 12, Scene 2

All you need to do is ask.

Justin wondered if there was any alternative. He could think of none. The past bound him, preventing him from having a fulfilling future with his wife. According to Simon it was as simple as asking for forgiveness. According to Justin, that in itself wasn't as simple as it sounded. He knew that Rebecca believed in God, Jesus, and the whole 'salvation' thing, but because he insisted, she never spoke about it out loud.

It was even before they were married that he put his foot down on any talks about religion or politics, and for the first time since then he wished he hadn't. He longed to know more about her religion and what fueled her faith. He wished he knew more about her dreams and goals for the future. He realized that he stood on the brink of divorce with a woman he didn't really know half as well as he should have. He felt selfish and ashamed for the first time since their marriage.

All you need to do is ask.

He saw Simon sitting underneath a tree in the little garden and walked over to him.

'Hey,' Simon said as Justin approached him. 'You're just in time to join me for a sandwich.'

Justin sat down in front of Simon on the soft grass and crossed his legs. 'I need to ask you something,' he said.

Simon nodded. 'Shoot.'

Justin took a sandwich from Simon and took a bite. He chewed a while and swallowed. 'I really need your honest opinion. It's matter of life and death.'