Chapter 2, Scene 9

The phone rang for quite some time before Justin woke up. Rebecca had left for work already, so it would have to be after eight. He stumbled from bed and cursed as he banged his toe against something hard on his way to the phone.

'Hello?' Justin said, trying to make his voice sound like he had been awake for quite some time.

'Good morning,' someone said from the other end of the line. 'Is this Justin Greene?'

'Yes,' Justin said. 'Who's this?'

'My name is Ian Robertson from Cybernetics Computers.' He paused for a moment, and Justin thought it best to let the man continue without interruption. 'An employee recommended you for a technician position with our firm.'

'Oh yes,' Justin said. He allowed the man to continue speaking.

'When would you be able to come in for an interview?'

Justin was completely caught off guard. 'I...erm...I can make it tomorrow if that's okay with you.'

'That would be fine,' the man confirmed as he flipped through the pages of his diary. 'How would eight thirty suit you?'

'That would be perfect,' Justin said.

The caller gave Justin some basic directions to the premises of Cybernetics Computers and Justin wrote them down without interrupting. He would rather consult the Internet or a map book later than appear to be incompetent before he even met the man. After confirming the time, the man hung up, leaving a stunned Justin looking at the phone as if he had just won the lottery. He finally put the phone down and went back into the bedroom.

'Perfect,' he said and went to the kitchen and flipped the kettle's switch. He had the best news in the world and not a soul to tell, so he merely chuckled and shook his head in disbelief. 'Just perfect.'