Chapter 10, Scene 1

The heat was almost unbearable. To Simon the heat wave appeared to be restricted to Kelwick only. He got up and stepped out from behind the tree. Even in the shade it was too hot and humid to be outside an air-conditioned building. Simon figured that it could have been the heat that drove all the animals crazy, but deep down he felt that something more sinister was at work. He couldn't focus on his book, so he decided that it would be best to go home.

Pity, Simon thought. He wanted to see the setting of the lazy Sunday afternoon sun. After a long, drawn out stretch, he slowly started his stroll down the road back home. He was halfway when something tugged at his leg.

'Any spare change would greatly be appreciated.'

Simon looked at a homeless beggar and knelt down beside the man. It didn't take long to figure out that the man was blind.

'It doesn't have to be much.'

Simon reached into his pocket and retrieved a few crumpled notes that he dropped into the man's tin.

'Thank you,' the beggar said. 'May God bless you.'

Simon smiled and got up. He was about to leave, but the beggar grabbed Simon's leg again. 'Please don't leave,' he pleaded. 'Don't leave without giving me my sight back.'

'Excuse me?' Simon asked. 'I don't know what you're talking about.'

'Just say the word,' the man begged. 'Just say the word and I'll be healed.'

Simon hesitated. He looked down the road toward his home; his comfort zone. He swallowed hard and knelt down next to the beggar again. 'How do you know this?' he asked.

'I can sense it,' the man said and took hold of Simon's arm. 'I can feel that there's something different about you.'

Simon shook his head. 'I...I can't...'

'Yes you can,' the man said and tightened his grip. 'All you need to do is give the word.'

Simon broke free from the beggar's grip. A tear trailed itself down the man's dirty cheek. 'All you need to do is say the word,' the man sobbed.

Simon took a step back. 'I can't do it,' he said. 'You have me mistaken for someone else.'

Tears streamed down the beggar's cheeks. 'Please, young man. Just give the word!'

'I can't!' Simon shouted and with that he turned and ran. He could hear the man shouting something behind him as he ran, but he didn't hear what it was. He just wanted to get away from there as quickly as possible.