Chapter 3, Scene 4

'This is the workshop,' one of the in-house technicians at Cybernetics Computers said as he guided Justin on a tour through the company. 'If the field engineers can't fix a problem on site, they bring it here.'

Justin nodded.

'If the broken part, say, for instance, a motherboard or hard drive can't be fixed here; we either swap it under warranty or quote the client for a new one.'

'I see,' Justin said. When they entered the workshop, the five technicians looked up for a brief moment.

'Guys,' the tour guide technician said. 'This is Justin Greene. He'll be joining you as of today.'

The other technicians—the eldest being no older than twenty seven, Justin estimated—acknowledged him with a mere murmur, nod, or wave before continuing with what they were working on. Justin figured that he might get a more formal introduction a bit later when he would actually start working in the workshop. For just a brief moment a fear crept into his thoughts; fear that he didn't have what it takes. He wondered if he would be able to do what was expected of him.

'Let me show you the kitchen.'

The two of them walked down the long hallway and up a flight of stairs. 'This is most probably where you'll be spending most of your time,' Tour-Techie—as Justin came to dub him—said, taking a stab at humour.

Justin chuckled.

Someone walked up from behind and placed his hand on Justin's shoulder. 'Justin, right?'

Justin turned and greeted the stranger from the coffee shop with a firm handshake. 'That's right,' he said. 'And you are...?'

'Simon,' the man said. 'I'm glad to see that you got the job.'

'You and me both,' Justin said and laughed nervously. 'Thank you so much for arranging this.'

'I didn't,' Simon said. 'I merely gave them your details. You did the rest.'

'Thank you anyway,' Justin said. He liked Simon's humility.

Simon frowned. 'Is something wrong?'

Justin shook his head. 'Not at all,' he said. 'I already feel at home here.'

'Not here,' Simon said. 'At home.'

'I'm not sure that I understand what you mean?'

'Whatever happens, just be there for Rebecca, okay?

'Rebecca?' Justin frowned. 'What does she...?'

Simon smiled and he shook Justin's hand once more. 'Hope you enjoy it here,' he said before briskly walking away.

'What the heck was that about?' Tour-Techie asked.

'I don't know,' Justin said and shrugged.

'Do you know Simon?'

'I briefly met him in a coffee shop a few days ago.'

Tour-Techie chuckled. 'He's a strange one, that guy. But you know what? He's one of our best. A bit weird at times, but you should see him hack away at a keyboard.'

'I can only imagine,' Justin said, distracted by Simon's words.

'Come,' Tour-Techie said. 'Let's get us some java.'