Chapter 4, Scene 6

Rebecca was silent on the way home, staring absentmindedly out into the distance at nothing in particular. Justin desperately wanted to say something to make his wife feel better, but he knew that there was nothing; not one word or sentence would make this better for her, and so he decided to rather keep quiet. She did the same.

What have we done to deserve something like this? Her voice replayed in his thoughts. For a moment he wondered if there was indeed something that they—or he, for that matter—had done to deserve this as some kind of punishment; some way for the universe to get back at him for something that he had wronged in his life. Justin's knuckles whitened around the steering wheel. Possibilities and memories flooded his pattern of thought. Could it have been the night he kissed Megan? He shook his head to clear it of the thought, but it remained. Was it something Rebecca drank? Was it the food they ate? The air they breathed? The possibilities became more absurd with each new thought. He cleared his head and looked at his wife. She had her head turned away from him, pressed against the window. Justin could sense that she was crying. As a gesture of comfort, he placed his hand on hers. She pulled her hand back and placed it on her stomach. He got the message and continued driving with both hands on the steering wheel.