Chapter 7, Scene 3

Rebecca clutched the telephone receiver in her hand. She pressed the first digit and hesitated before killing the line. Calling her parents proved to be the hardest thing she had done in a very long time. She replaced the receiver in its cradle and sunk back into the soft comfort zone that was the couch.

Fine! Go to your parents then! It saves me the trouble of moving out.

Justin wanted to move out? Why hadn't he mentioned it before? Rebecca was forced to finally admit to herself that Tanya might have been right about Justin having an affair. Maybe there was someone else and he just needed an excuse. Who could it be? Someone at his work? Was she blonde? Justin's ex was blonde. Was he secretly seeing her again? Who was that person with him in the car when he went for the interview? She buried her face in her hands and shook as the sobs escaped from her mouth. It didn't take long before she regained her composure. She sniffed hard and wiped at her eyes.

'Oh, Justin,' she said and almost lost it again. 'Why?'

Rebecca picked up the receiver again and dialled the number. A moment before it rang she slammed down the phone and dashed to the toilet where, on her knees, she threw up.