Chapter 11, Scene 5

Simon splashed his face with water. His stomach twisted and churned.

I'm sure that he'll make you both very proud.

He drank some water and when he looked back up into the mirror, he saw someone standing behind him. Simon spun around and stood face-to-face with Dominic.

'How did you get in here?' Simon asked.

Dominic brought his face close to Simon's and sniffed like an animal. 'There's something about you that I don't like,' he said and sniffed again. 'I can't put my finger on it, but your mere presence makes me feel ill.'

'The feeling's mutual,' Simon said and took a step back. 'Now would you please leave?'

In a flash Dominic was upon Simon. The young man grabbed Simon by the throat and slammed him into the wall. Dominic brought his face close to Simon's and sniffed again. 'Who are you?' he demanded and pulled his upper lip back into a snarl to reveal razor sharp, jagged teeth. The irises of his eyes glowed bright yellow as his grip tightened around Simon's throat.

Simon tried to speak, but the pressure on his throat was unbearable. His head spun and consciousness was slowly slipping away. It would only be a matter of time before everything would fade to black.

'Who are you?' Dominic insisted.

'Urk—'

Dominic lessened his grip on Simon's throat. 'Speak now, or I'll kill you where you stand.'

A knock on the door.

Dominic looked over his shoulder at the closed door and then back at Simon. 'You're lucky this time,' he hissed. 'Next time you will not be so fortunate.' He then released Simon's neck, took a step back, and vanished into thin air.

'Simon,' Justin's voice came from the other side of the door. 'Are you okay in there?'

'Hgnnn...'

'Simon?'

'I...I'm fine.'

With fumbling hands Simon unlocked and opened the door. 'In fact,' he said, still trying to catch his breath. 'I don't feel too well. Would you take offence if I left?'

'No problem, bud,' Justin said and frowned. 'Are you okay? Can I give you a ride home?'

Simon nodded and declined, and after greeting Rebecca and Tanya, he left.

Just then, Dominic entered the apartment with a warm tray. He smiled warmly. 'Pudding anyone?'