Chapter 12, Scene 4

Justin came home with a small bouquet of flowers; substantially smaller than Dominic's.

'Oh my,' Rebecca said when he gave her the flowers. 'What are these for?'

'Just because I can...' Justin said. His words trailed off as he spotted the two vases filled with flowers on the dinner table. 'What's that?' he asked.

Rebecca hesitated. Her stomach churned and it felt as if Justin could see right through her. She wanted to confess to kissing Dominic, but for some reason didn't feel that she had to justify herself. 'These were from Dominic,' she said as casually as she could manage.

'Why?'

'Not sure,' she said. 'I think it might be to thank me for dinner the other night.'

Justin clenched his teeth and for a moment it felt like they would snap off in his mouth. 'I want you to take it back,' he said. 'Tell him that you can't accept it.'

'I already did accept them, Justin,' Rebecca said. 'He didn't mean anything by it.'

'Oh no?' Justin asked. 'And how would you feel if I gave another man's wife all those flowers?'

She hesitated. 'It's different...'

'Really? How?'

'It...just...is...'

'How Rebecca? How is it different? You're married. Men shouldn't be giving you flowers.'

'Well, you're married too,' she snapped back. 'You shouldn't be spending time with other women.'

'What?' Justin asked. 'What the hell are you talking about?'

'Don't pretend like you don't know. The 'late' nights at the office. The constant 'sites' that you have to go to. Your lack of physical attention. The lack of emotional attention. The missing ring that you never bothered replacing. The list goes on, Justin.'

'What are you on about?' Justin asked. 'Do you seriously believe the things you're saying?' He didn't wait for an answer. 'I've been breaking my back to put food on the table, Becky. I've gone to the sites so that you might have a better life. And you know damn well that I'm waiting until payday to replace the ring.' He paused to regulate his breathing and regain control of his voice. 'Wait...are you implying that I'm having an affair?'

Rebecca pursed her lips. 'Are...are you?'

'Of course not, honey,' Justin said. 'That's absurd! I don't even have time to focus on you and our baby properly, let alone anyone else.'

'I...I don't know what to believe anymore,' Rebecca said. Justin took her in his arms and gently stroked the back of her head. Her lip quivered. 'I'm sorry that I'm such a terrible wife.'

'Nonsense,' he said. 'You're not a terrible wife. It's me that's the terrible husband.'

'You're not,' Rebecca said and bit her lip.

'You are the best thing that ever happened to me, Becky. Don't ever forget that.'

Rebecca looked up at Justin. She wanted to tell him so desperately about her mistake, but couldn't find the strength or courage.

'I know that I haven't been much of a husband to you lately,' he said. 'I'll make it up to you.' Might as well go all the way. 'The first thing that I'm going to do when I get back from the site is get myself another job.'

Rebecca pushed herself away from Justin. 'Another site?'

Justin frowned. 'This will be the last one,' he said. 'I promise.'

'You promised before,' she said.

'This time it's different. I'm going to quit when I get back.'

'Why don't you just quit now?'

'It won't go down too well with management. I need them as reference when I look for another job. If I burn my bridges now, all my hard work to date would have been in vain. The time away at sites; everything I've done would have meant nothing.'

'I need you more than you need them,' she said. 'You can always get another job somewhere, with or without their reference.'

'Becky, it took me months of actively searching to get another job after I lost the previous one.'

'Well,' she said. 'You have to decide now, Justin Greene, which is more important. Your job or your wife. Because it appears that either way, you're going to lose one of them.'