Chapter 3, Scene 1

The music was loud. Too loud. Justin scanned his eyes across the crowd at the party. There were all sorts of people: the fighting couple who managed to pique everyone's interest for at least a minute; the players who pretended they had all the connections and cash anyone would ever need; the managers who preferred to socialize in small groups of three and avoid staff at all cost; and last, but also least, the general company employees. Justin didn't know anyone.

'Hell of a party, eh?' one of the office pencil pushers asked Justin. He waved his whiskey glass in the general direction of the five people twitching on the space set aside for dancing.

'Yeah, okay,' Justin said, trying to humour the man. He searched for Rebecca but couldn't find her anywhere. Most probably fled to the ladies room, he thought. Which isn't such a bad idea, come to think of it.

'So in which department are you?' the man asked.

'Technical,' Justin said and shoved past the man. 'Excuse me, will you? I need to use the John.'

'Sure thing, buddy,' the man yelled above the music. 'I'll be on the dance floor if you need me.'

Like that would ever happen, Justin thought. He faked a quick smile and then proceeded to search for the men's room. It didn't take long to find it, and he soon found himself staring into a mirror, wondering how he got conned into going in the first place. I hate corporate functions, Justin thought as he splashed some water over his face. A cold draft coming from an open window above the basin made the water sting his face and he instinctively reached to close the window. As he pulled the handle, a grunting sound outside made him freeze in mid-motion.

He listened.

Was there someone back there? He strained to see into the darkness outside, but could only make out basic shapes of trees and cars.

Ruffling of leaves in a tree nearby.

Another grunt, but this time so close that Justin jerked. Something shuffled past the window; something huge. The pungent smell of charred flesh struck Justin's nostrils and he almost lost his lunch as the huge thing made its way past the window.

What the hell is that? Justin's mind screamed. He tried to manoeuvre his head in such a way as to see what it was, but it had already disappeared from view. Whatever it is, Justin thought, it's heading towards the people!

Justin bolted for the door, but he froze when the screaming started. The music stopped abruptly and Justin could hear people running and trampling one another as they tried to get away from the beast. Justin ran for a stall and locked himself inside, clenching his teeth and eyes as tightly as he could while people outside continued to yell and scream. The screaming stopped just as suddenly as it had started, and Justin slowly opened his eyes. Rebecca! he thought, but as he was about to get up he heard the bathroom door break open with a loud crunch. There was a shuffling sound; the smell of singed flesh again.

Oh no! Justin thought and his stomach churned. Help me, someone! Anyone!

The shuffling neared his stall door; the stench became stronger, almost unbearable. Finally the shuffling stopped right in front of his stall door.

Bang!

The stall door cracked.

This isn't happening! Help me!

Another grunt. The thing on the opposite side of the door snorted.

Bang!

The stall door cracked down the middle. One more blow of that force, and the door would cave in.

'Leave me alone!' Justin screamed.

In the background, the music came back on, louder than before.

BANG!

The door splintered open and he saw the face of a hideous creature coming at him.

Justin woke up screaming, clawing in the darkness as Rebecca tugged at his arm.

'Justin, wake up!'

Justin was disorientated. It was dark, but the music was still playing at top volume. He jumped from the bed and stood still for a moment as he tried to figure out what was going on.

'The music,' Rebecca urged from somewhere in the darkness. 'Turn off the music!'

Justin ran to the living room and after a few attempts, managed to switch off the radio that was blasting at top volume. The living room light went on and Justin jumped.

'What was that?' Rebecca asked as she joined him.

'The radio,' Justin said. 'It must have gone on or something.' There was a distinct ringing in his ears as he unplugged the radio. Just in case it wants to go on again. 'Did you set it on timer or something?'

'I hardly ever use it,' Rebecca said. 'I haven't touched it in almost six months.'

Justin looked at the digital clock on the wall. It was 03:00 AM. 'Is this time correct?'

Rebecca nodded.

Justin rubbed his face. 'Are you sure you didn't set the alarm by accident?'

'I didn't even know the radio had an alarm,' she defended.

'Weird,' Justin said. 'Come, let's get back to bed. I have to get up for my new job in about two hours.'

Rebecca followed him and darkness instantly returned when she pressed the light switch.