Chapter 10, Scene 8

'Promise you won't be mad,' Justin said as he got into bed and wrapped his arm around Rebecca's waist.

'How much did it cost?' she asked.

Justin laughed. 'No,' he said. 'It's nothing like that.'

Rebecca turned around and faced him. 'What is it then?'

Justin sighed. 'They're sending me to a site again,' he said. He studied her face for any hint of what she might be thinking, but found no clues.

'When?'

'I leave tomorrow morning.'

'Are you taking the car?'

'No,' Justin said. 'I'm going with a guy called Clyde. He'll pick me up first thing in the morning.'

'For how long?'

'Until Friday afternoon.'

'So you'll be here for the Friday evening dinner?'

'Yes,' Justin said. He realized that this stupid dinner might just be his saving grace.

Rebecca smiled. 'Okay then.'

What? That was it? All this stress for nothing? 'Um...you're not angry?'

'Nope,' she said in an almost playful voice and turned around.

'Are you sure?' Justin asked and tried to lean over her to see if she was crying. 'After this week, they promised that they wouldn't send me for the next five months.'

Rebecca looked up at Justin and smiled. 'It's okay, baby, really.'

'Uhm...Okay. Thanks...' Justin said and kissed her on the cheek. 'Is it okay if I invite Simon over for the dinner thing?'

Rebecca nodded. She didn't mind Justin leaving for a week. Her main problem with him leaving was that she would have to be alone most of the times in what she believed to be a haunted apartment. With Dominic there she would have someone to turn to if the going got tough.

'Good night, love,' Justin said and kissed her on the cheek.

Still thinking about Dominic, Rebecca switched off the bed lamp. 'Good night, Justin.'