Chapter 10, Scene 3

Nothing in the world could put a damper on Rebecca's mood now. Justin dropped her off at home before heading back to the office. She sang and danced her way to the kitchen to make herself a cup of tea. There was a strong heartbeat. Everything was fine. The doctor would know.

'Everything's okay,' she told Tanya over the cordless as she flipped the switch to the kettle. 'There's a strong heartbeat.'

'I'm so relieved,' Tanya said. 'See? I told you that everything was going to be okay, didn't I?'

'Yeah,' Rebecca said. 'You did.'

'We should celebrate,' Tanya said. 'We can't just sit back and do nothing.'

'How about dinner at our place sometime?' Rebecca asked. 'Justin and I kind of invited the neighbour's nephew by accident and it would be perfect if you could join us.'

'By accident?'

'Long story,' Rebecca said and laughed.

'Becks, I don't do the blind date thing. You of all people should know that.'

'Oh no,' Rebecca said. 'It's nothing like that.' She paused. 'Although, you should see this man, Tanya. He's to die for.'

'You're married, remember?'

'I just said he's gorgeous,' Rebecca defended in a playful manner. 'I didn't say that I would actually do anything.'

Tanya chuckled. 'So,' she said. 'What's his name?'

'Dominic.'

'Has a nice ring to it. And you say he's good looking?'

'That's putting it mildly,' Rebecca said. 'I guess you'll just have to see for yourself.'

'Oh all right. When can I get to see him?'

'Hmmm... How about two weeks from now?'

'Two weeks?'

'Friday the twenty seventh, yes,' Rebecca said. 'That should be fine with everyone. It's after payday, see?'

Tanya sighed. 'You make me curious, only to tell me that the earliest that I can see this mystery man is in two weeks?'

'That's right.'

'I'll get you for this, Becks.'

Rebecca only laughed. 'Patience, my dear friend.'

'So I'll pick you up tomorrow morning?'

'If you don't mind,' Rebecca said.

'Not at all. Same time?'

'Eight.'

'Okay. See you then.'

They both hung up just as the kettle boiled. Rebecca put the phone down on the kitchen counter and got herself a mug from the cupboard. They weren't fancy enough to own a tea set, but Rebecca didn't mind. More tea in a mug anyway. A figure in the corner of her eye made her freeze. She could clearly make out the shape's head, arms, body, and legs. She took two deep breaths and slowly moved her eyes, but the figure quickly moved behind the wall and slipped into the hallway.

'Who's there?' Rebecca asked. Uncertainty and fear seeped through her voice.

No answer.

She opened the drawer and pulled out a butcher's knife. 'Hello?'

Again, no answer.

Slowly she made her way to the living room, scanning every inch of the apartment as she walked. She was distinctly aware of the fact that her heart was beating louder than normal. Her arms and legs felt numb, but she couldn't afford to be caught off guard, so she decided to use a more threatening approach.

'I want you to leave me alone,' Rebecca demanded.

A thud from Justin's office made her spin around.

The door was closed, but she was sure the sound came from within there. Her grip tightened around the handle of the knife and it made her feel somewhat more protected. Not a whole lot, but enough to make her advance towards the office.

A sense of fear gripped her stomach and got worse as she approached the door. Another dull thud and she took an instinctive step back. She drew another deep breath and then reached out her hand to the handle. The fear intensified.

Inside the office, a chair moved.

Someone's in there!

Rebecca's hand inched slowly towards the handle. As she touched it, a loud knock on the front door made her jump and shriek.