Chapter 6, Scene 7

'He's going to leave me, Tanya.'

'He's not going to leave you, Becks,' Tanya said. 'And if he does...good for you!'

Rebecca smiled. Tanya meant well, but she didn't always realize what she was saying. 'I can't afford to lose him,' Rebecca said after a moment. 'I can't begin to imagine my life without him.'

Tanya sighed louder than she intended to. It was clear to Rebecca that she saw them splitting up as a good thing. 'Why would he want to leave you? Because you're a bad wife, or because you claim that weird things are happening at your apartment?'

'I don't know,' Rebecca said. 'Perhaps I am a bad wife? He's been sleeping on the couch for almost a week now...'

'That doesn't make you a bad wife,' Tanya spat in her usual tactless manner. 'It makes him a crummy husband.'

Rebecca merely looked down without saying anything.

'In fact, I think he's having an affair.'

'What?' Rebecca asked and almost choked.

'Yes,' Tanya said and nodded as if to confirm her resolve. 'I think that Justin is having an affair.'

Rebecca thought about the prospect for a moment. 'No,' she said when she finally spoke again. 'I don't think so.'

Tanya brought the car to a stand-still at a traffic light and shifted it into neutral. 'Think about it, Becks. The long hours at work. Sleeping on the couch. The eagerness to go to what he calls 'sites,' and then the sudden urge to leave you as soon as you tell him that you're not having a good week?'

'That's not entirely accurate,' Rebecca said, although Tanya's observations did have a sad ring of truth to it.

Tanya ignored her. 'The evidence is there,' she said. 'And it's all pointing to one thing.' The traffic light turned green and as Tanya pulled away, she took Rebecca's hand. 'Denial is a terrible thing.'

Rebecca pulled her hand away. 'I'm not in denial,' she said. 'And Justin is not having an affair. Something is bothering him, but it's not that.'

'I just call 'em as I see 'em,' Tanya said and for a moment let go of the steering wheel as she held her hands up. 'You wanted my opinion and I gave it to you.'

'You don't know Justin the way I do,' Rebecca said. 'He won't do that. Ever.'

'I do know how people work. The symptoms are there. That's all I'm saying.'

Rebecca forced a smile. She figured it best to make light of the situation before the conversation turned into a heated debate. 'How do they say? If you want loyalty, get a dog.'

Both burst out laughing, instantly killing any tension that had been there mere seconds ago.

'Here we are,' Tanya said and looked at the grey building that was their office block. 'Another day of pushing pencil.'