Chapter 5, Scene 2

'A week?' Rebecca's voice trailed off in a frantic screech. 'You'll be gone for an entire week?'

Justin sighed. 'It's important for my career that I go, Becky. Besides, I think that we could both use a little breather, don't you?'

'Why can't they just get someone else?' Rebecca demanded. 'And what do you mean with us both needing a "breather"?'

Rebecca wasn't taking this nearly as well as he had hoped. The conversation he had with her in his mind on his way home was by far more pleasant than this one. 'They most probably can get someone else, Becky,' he said and took a deep breath. 'But I said that I would go.'

For a moment Rebecca didn't say anything. 'You had a choice...?'

'I need this, Becky. For myself. I need to prove to myself that I have what it takes to be out in the field.'

Rebecca got up from the bed and without saying a word, went to the kitchen.

Justin followed her. 'I just think that you need some space; for you; to clear your thoughts. You know; stuff like that.'

'Clear my thoughts?' she asked and clenched her teeth. She turned her back on him and filled the basin with hot water.

Justin placed his hands on her shoulders. She closed the tap and just stood there, staring out the window at the darkness outside. 'All I'm saying,' he said and gently turned her around. 'Is that things have been kinda...weird between us the last few months. I think that a few days apart could help us both get over our pain. Don't you agree?'

Rebecca lowered her eyes. She nodded and swallowed hard. 'Just because I agree,' she said, trying her best not to cry, 'doesn't mean that I have to like it.'

Justin hugged his wife. 'I don't like it either,' he said. 'But it's short-term pain for long-term gain. Okay?'

She didn't say anything. She merely held him tighter.