Chapter 5, Scene 1

'What's wrong?' Simon asked. 'More nightmares?'

'No,' Justin said. 'Just have a lot on my mind lately. It's been a little over two months now since the operation, and Rebecca still can't get over it. But now that you mention it, your question just made me realize that I haven't had a nightmare since the operation.'

'It's difficult to lose a baby,' Simon said. 'Even more so for a woman than for a man.'

'I guess,' Justin said and shrugged. 'It's just hard to go on with our lives when she's permanently stuck in the past. I'm trying to make things better for her, I really am. But just when I think we're making headway, something happens that reminds her and we're back at square one.

'Give her some time,' Simon said. 'All wounds take time to heal. It's only been two months now. Things will return to normal sooner or later.'

'If at all,' Justin said. 'Sometimes I just don't understand her at all.'

Simon laughed. 'Show me the man who understands the mind of the woman.'

Justin chuckled. Simon knew exactly what to say to lift his spirits.

'Tell you what,' Simon said. 'I'm going to a site next week. Would you like to join me?'

Justin hesitated. 'What are you going to do at the site?'

'Not much,' Simon said. 'It's a hardware audit mainly, but we need to also assist the onsite techs with some of their backlog calls.'

'And what about Lance?'

'Don't worry about him,' Simon said. 'In fact, it was he that told me to pick someone to assist me, so I'm sure he'll be fine with it.'

'I don't know if it's such a good idea...'

'It will give you experience beyond the scope of the workshop, and once you get your foot out in the field, it'll be easier to advance to your own sites. Besides, I'm sure that you and Rebecca could use the breathing space.'

Justin thought about it for a moment. Simon was right. Being alone to sort out her thoughts might just be the one thing that Rebecca needed at the moment. 'All right,' he finally agreed. 'When do you want to leave?'

'Great,' Simon said. 'I'll run it by Lance. Let's make it two o' clock on Sunday afternoon. I'll pick you up at your place and will drop you off again that following Friday afternoon.'

Justin nodded. 'I think you're right,' he said. 'I think that some time away would do a world of good; not only for Rebecca, but for me too.'