Chapter 5, Scene 5

'You mean he left you there for a week?' Tanya asked. Even over the soft crackle of the telephone, Rebecca could hear the surprise mingled with anger in her voice. 'He left you there alone by yourself?'

'It's for his work,' Rebecca tried to protect him. 'He also believes that the time apart will bring closure to the miscarriage incident.'

'Like that makes it better.'

'Well...'

'The hell it does!' Tanya snapped. 'You don't cut off your hand to get rid of the pain in your foot!'

Rebecca chuckled. Tanya always did have a way with words. 'I'll be okay,' Rebecca said. 'It's just for the week.'

'Still,' Tanya said. 'I'd like to have a word or two with that man when he gets back.'

Rebecca smiled at the mental image. She hesitated a moment. 'Tanya,' she said and paused. 'There's something that I've been meaning to talk to you about.'

'Is Justin hitting you?' Tanya snapped and Rebecca almost choked on her tea. 'Because if he is, I'll—'

'No!' Rebecca interrupted. 'He'll never do anything like that in his life. But something is definitely bothering me.'

There was a silence for a moment and Rebecca almost thought that Tanya had put down the phone. 'Why? What's wrong?'

'I'm not sure,' Rebecca said, trying to weigh her words before speaking. 'For the past few months I've been...seeing...things.'

'Seeing things?'

'Strange things,' Rebecca said.

'Like...?'

'Like the paintings that have been removed from the wall, but when I look again, they're back where they're supposed to be. Sometimes I see shapes out of the corner of my eyes, and other times I can see them clearly.'

'You lost me somewhere at the word paintings,' Tanya said. 'Take a deep breath and tell me what's going on.'

'Strange things are happening in this apartment, Tanya. But I'm not sure if it's really happening, or if it's all in my mind.'

'You need to get away from there for a while, Becks,' Tanya said. 'Why don't you come over for the week and stay with me? Just until Justin comes back, at least.'

'Thanks for the offer,' Rebecca said. Tanya was a good friend and she really liked her company, but she wouldn't feel comfortable sleeping over at another place other than her own without Justin. 'But I'm sure that I'll be fine.'

'You sure?' Tanya asked. 'Because you don't sound at all "fine" to me at all.'

'Just some jitters,' Rebecca said, trying to re-assure her friend. 'I'll get over it, don't worry.'

'Well, if you don't get over it, you let me know, okay? My offer stands. Always.'

'Thank you,' Rebecca said, and after some light-hearted conversation to lighten the mood, Rebecca hung up and headed to the kitchen to prepare dinner.