Chapter 5, Scene 11

Despite Justin's suggestion to spend the night at Tanya's place and against her own better judgement, Rebecca stayed at home. She went straight to bed and got up earlier than normal so that she could leave the apartment as quickly as possible.

Because it was Friday, and the company was well ahead of the expected quota, their employer gave all the ladies an early afternoon off. Without anything in particular to do, Rebecca decided to spend the afternoon with a good book.

'A few of us are going to the mall for some window shopping and coffee,' Tanya said. 'Please say you'll join us. We'll have a great time.'

'Maybe next time,' Rebecca said. She did not have the energy to walk around in the huge mall. When she got home she first made herself some tea and then kicked off her shoes. Since everything electronic was unplugged, the only thing that Rebecca could do for entertainment was read. She was almost done with a romance novel and decided that today was the day that she would finish it. She scanned her eyes across the room.

It was tidy enough.

She'd just move some things around and pack a few magazines away and the rest of the apartment would appear to be tidy too. She slapped herself lightly against the forehead. She still wanted to wash the dishes before Justin got home. She put the novel down on the coffee table and headed for the kitchen. As she passed the hallway, a shadow against the wall made her stop.

Now what? Rebecca thought as she moved closer to the shadow. It stood out like a sore thumb and she would have noticed this particular shadow if it had been there before. But it hadn't. She moved her arm, but the shadow didn't change shape. Her own shadow was cast a bit lower and more to the right. Looking closely, Rebecca could clearly make out the shape. It was in the shape of a person. She spun around, but there was no one there. Looking back at the shadow she could clearly make out the arms, the head, the torso, waist, and legs. She even noticed bony fingers that resembled claws. A chill tingled down her spine as she reached her hand out to touch the wall. She brought her hand closer still and just before she touched the wall the shadow moved.

Rebecca screamed and ran for the door. She jerked it open and her legs almost buckled when she saw someone standing there.