eighteen // m

*A/N this is marina dreaming-- she's asleep :) this chapter is kinda confusing, sorry... alrighty, enjoy*

i dreamed of a family. i dreamed of a cute little house. it was a pastel yellow, and the door was a easter pink. we had a white picket fence and a lush, green lawn. my hair was in tight ringlet curls, my bangs pinned back by a few simple bobby pins. i had a sundress on that had little sunflowers and a white apron with 'kiss the cook' written across the chest. i dreamed of my husband coming home from work, singing: 'honey, i'm hoooooome!' he would put his hat onto the coat tree, put his briefcase down, and loosen his tie. i dreamed he would walk over to the kitchen and kiss my cheek.

"sweetheart, this smells amazing!" he would exclaim with a smile. i dreamed that we would hear fast, thundering steps down the stairs with little high pitched voices screaming 'daddy's home!' i dreamed a little six year boy and five year old girl would rush into their dad's arms, giggling like crazy. they would tug him by his tie to show them the toys that they were playing with, and he would stand up and abide. i dreamed we ate dinner as a family at a nice, polished, wood table. the tablecloth would be clear, and the table would be full with food. a nice ham, mashed potatoes, peas, carrots, and for dessert: a chocolate cake. i dreamed we would hold hands and bow our heads to say grace. our little son would beg to say prayer, and we would let him. i dreamed it would sound a little something like this:

"dear god, thank you for erything you do for my famwy. pwease bless mums' food, and pwease let me stay up and watch tv. amen" he would say.

"amen" the rest of the family would say. i dreamed of a perfect family. i dreamed that we were stuck in an endless loop of the same, boring, immaculate family. i dreamed that once bedtime rolled around, i would have to force my son to brush his teeth. i would tuck my son and daughter into bed, kissing them goodnight. i dreamed i would go to sleep in my husbands arms. i dreamed that this is how it would always be.

i dreamed one day my husband stumbled into the door, his tie hanging off of his neck loosely. i dreamed his coat was already unbuttoned and red lipstick was smudged on his white collar. he would come into the kitchen and say:

"this shît again? when do you ever make anything di- *hiccup* different, y-you bit- *hiccup* bîtch" he would slur. he was drunk. his breath was reeking of the stench of alcohol. i dreamed that he went upstairs and slammed the bedroom door shut. i dreamed i went upstairs to fetch the kids for dinner. i opened the door to the little boy's room, and he would be on his bed, blasting music into his ears with a blunt sticking out of his mouth lazily. he would look at me with red eyes and blow smoke at me. i dreamed i closed the door, on the verge of crying. i dreamed i walked to my little girl's room and when i opened the door she was sitting in front of a glass table. there was a little pack of powder, a razor blade, a straw and little white lines. i dreamed she looked at me as she inhaled the powder then looking at me with dead eyes. i dreamed i would run down the stairs and into the kitchen. i would place all the food on the table, as if my children and husband would come down. i dreamed i lit a candle and fixed myself a plate of food. i cried as i ate my food in pity. i dreamed the pastel yellow paint that coated the house was beginning to peel and the door was starting to rot. i dreamed the once lush, green lawn was full of dead, brown grass. the white picket fence was rotting. i dreamed i was crying.

i dreamed of a perfect family. a perfect life. but even in my dreams, nothing stayed that way.

-m