forty two // m

"oh my god, is that him?" i yelled, turning around. i put on some clothes and rushed down the stairs.

"marina! wait!" liam called out, but i didn't stop.

i ran down the stairs and quickly put on my shoes. when i stepped out, i realized that i was wearing a short sleeve shirt and it was freezing outside, but i didn't care. i ran down the street towards the lights. there were policemen everywhere, but i managed to weave my way through the crowd.

"harry! babe!" i called out, trying to get to him before they put him in the ambulance.

i was stopped by a policeman, "i'm sorry ma'am, you can't go through."

"he's my dom!" i screamed, trying to push past the man, but it was no use. i was minuscule compared to the big policeman.

"i'm sorry, but you can't!" he fussed, pushing me back.

"f.ücking let me through!" i pushed one last time with all of my strength, but that didn't work.

"ma'am, visit him in the hospital," he clenched his jaw, trying not to lose his temper.

"you know what? f.ück you! just let me through! please!" i pleaded, but he didn't budge.

i heard steps behind me and then a pair of hands on my shoulders, "i'm sorry, is she causing trouble?" liam asked.

"yes, sir. please remove her," the cop sighed.

"sorry, sir. c'mon now, marina. we'll drive to the hospital, alright?" liam said.

i began to cry, "i want my daddy!" i threw a tantrum, causing a scene. many people looked upon us as liam and the cop looked at each other in confusion.

"listen, that attitude isn't tolerated, but you have five minutes to see him, alright?" the cop gave in and stepped to the side, letting me through.

"thank you!" i said while running past him. liam stayed where he was and talked to the policeman.

i rushed up to harry. there were machines hooked up to him as people began to take off his clothing, searching for the cause of bleeding. his head was rolled to one side, his eyes closed ever so lightly. there was a deep cut above his eyebrow, leaking crimson. there were multiple bruises on his face and some cuts on his lips. the EMTs ripped off his shirt, exposing his chest. the two beautiful birds inked onto his skin were covered in blood, a waterfall of the liquid streaming down to cover the butterfly as well. i covered my mouth in shock (but mostly to stifle my sobs) as i watched the EMTs do their job. i couldn't do anything but watch helplessly. they began to lift him into the ambulance, carefully. i watched them slowly lift the gurney and slide it into the back of the car before they closed the doors.

"stupid drunk drivers," one of the EMTs said.

he was drunk...? it's all my fault...

they all rushed to the front of the car and turned it on. the familiar alarm from the ambulance echoed through the street as they drove off. i stood there, motionless. my heart was numb, as well as my brain. i couldn't comprehend what i had just seen.

i could've just witnessed mr.styles' last moment... and i didn't even say anything...

a voice snapped me out of my thoughts, "marina? baby? c'mon it's freezing out here, come inside please?" liam whispered quietly. he spoke slowly, trying to be as gentle as he could due to my fragile state. i nodded my head and turned to him. snow was caked to the bottom of my shoes, numbing my toes, but i didn't care. i sobbed loudly into liam's chest, not caring how ugly i looked.

"he's dead! he died! i lost him!" i screamed, mentally kicking myself.

"no, he's not. we don't know that, marina," liam cooed, walking into the house. the warmth of his home engulfed me, and i melted into his arms, too weak to stand. i kicked off my shoes and let them fall onto the hard floor. liam carried me upstairs and set me gently on the bed. he shuffled to the other side of the room and put bean next to me. i immediately wrapped my arms around the bear, hugging it close. i let the fur soak up my tears as i curled into a ball underneath the covers.

please god, don't let harry die... i know, i shouldn't have left him, but just let him live and i'll go back... i don't even care if he cheated or anything... just please.... pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease...

"we'll go to the hospital tomorrow morning, okay love?" liam whispered while wrapping an arm around me and kissing the top of my head.

"okay," i croaked out.

// liam's pov //

god dammit, harry... i remember the first time you drove drunk... we were in year twelve, and you finally got your license... you told me you were the best drunk driver ever... you said 'i'm the best drunk driver! i don't even swerve around the road. if a cop pulls me over? no problem, i can hold a coversation long enough to get off the hook...' but look: you're on your way to the emergency room... you're a damn fool, harold... but i know you're going to be okay... and marina is going to go running back into your arms... leaving me... so i guess i'll hold her tighter tonight... it's one of the last day's i'll have her anyways...

"marina, you hungry? thirsty?" i asked. she was silent, but i could tell her was awake. she kept moving her feet underneath the covers.

she nodded her head, "i'm hungry... do you have oranges and chocolate?"

"i have oranges, not sure about chocolate though... wanna come downstairs with me or do you want me to get it for you?" i asked.

"i'll come with you," she mumbled while sitting up. she held bean close to her as she climbed on my back. i carried her on my back down the stairs. her head was leaning on my shoulder, her arms wrapped around me as bean's fluffy head sat on my other shoulder. i walked into the kitchen and set her down onto the counter. her eyes were puffy as red, so i grabbed a towel and dampened it and lightly wiped her cheeks, ridding them of the salty tears.

"okay, i have oranges," i said while grabbing three oranges, "and chocolate... ah, here you're in luck. i have some," i said while pulling out a bag of chocolate chips.

"can we melt them?" she asked quietly.

"sure," i responded, bringing out a bowl. i assumed she was going to dip the oranges into the chocolate, i wasn't sure why, but i didn't ask.

as we waited for the chocolate to melt in the microwave, i stood between her legs and circled my arms around her, pressing my forehead against her chest.

"i'm sure he'll be fine," i whispered, trying to make her feel better.

"are you sure?" she sniffled.

truth is: i wasn't.

-m